Skipping School 2

Gracies POV (13 Years Old)

"Have a good day and I'll pick you up after school" Will said as he pulled up in front my school.

"'Kay, bye" I replied as I jumped out of his car and stopped in front of the steps with a heavy sigh. Why is school a thing? More specifically, why is homework a thing? I was meant to finish my math homework last night but I just got distracted! It's not my fault! Jay got called in to work meaning I was sat in the break room at the district until 10pm! My math teacher is such a dick! He'll never let it slide without some kind of punishment.

I stood for a few seconds and thought through my options. Skip or suffer...yeah not a difficult choice! I texted my friend Em to ask her to cover for me and luckily she agreed without hesitation. She's gonna tell them I got sick which should give me the rest of today and tonight to do the homework! Fool proof!

Wills POV

"Morning Maggie" I greeted as I walked in to the ED and headed straight over to the doctors lounge. I took my jacket off and hung it up in my locker along with my bag and suddenly my phone began to ring.

"Hello?" I answered,

"Hello this is Rachel from Thomas Kelly middle school, am I speaking to the guardian of Gracelyn Halstead?" The secretary asked. Oh god.

"Yes you are" I confirmed,

"I'm just calling to confirm that Gracelyn is sick" she explained making me frown.

"Sick? I dropped her off at school myself" I told her "are you sure she's not just late to class?" I asked.

"I can assure you that your sister is not in the school building" she told me making me sigh.

"Thanks for calling" I said before hanging up and selecting Jays number. 'I can't believe this kid sometimes' I thought angrily as I waited for my brother to answer.

"Halstead" his voice eventually came through the phone.

"Gracies school just called and she's not there" I said "I dropped her off myself so my guess would be that she's skipped" I explained. I heard Jay curse on the other end of the phone.

"I'll find her" he replied angrily.

"Call me when you do."

Gracies POV

I walked to the park that was about a fifteen minute walk from the school and quickly found a shady spot under a large oak tree to sit down. I smiled. This is way better than school! I should do this more often!

I reached in to my bag and searched for my current book, The book of stolen dreams. I pulled out the bookmark and noted that I only had a few chapters left before the end! At this rate I'll finish my book and my homework before I have to be back at school for Jay to pick me up! I sighed contently as I began to read the chapter, quickly loosing myself in the story.

"Gracelyn Halstead, what the hell are you playing at?" A voice boomed from behind me making me jump out of my skin and drop my book in to my lap. Great. There goes my place. "Get up" Jay ordered and I instantly shot up to my feet.

"How did you know I was here?" I asked nervously as I shoved my book in to my backpack.

"That's none of your concern" he snapped "now get your ass in the truck" he said sternly. I swallowed down the lump that had formed in my throat as Jay put a firm hand on my shoulder, giving me no option but to keep moving forward.

I climbed in to the passenger seat before Jay turned the ignition and began to drive.

"I know that you're probably really angry at me ri-" I began but was immediately cut off before I could continue.