Running In To The Road

Gracies POV (4 Years Old)

"C'mon Gracie" Jay said as he pulled in to the parking lot at the district "You've only gotta stay here half an hour then Will's gonna come and pick you up" he reminded as he turned in his seat to look at my frown stricken face.

"It's not fair" I grumbled making my brother sigh. I watched through scrunched eyebrows as he climbed out of the car and walked around to open my door "I don't wanna go in there" I stated as my brother waited for me to unclip my seatbelt.

"I know you're not happy right now kiddo but it's only for a little while" he explained.

"No" I declared as I kicked the passenger seat frustratedly,

"Gracelyn" Jay warned making me kick out once again "right. Out, now please" he said firmly as he reached across me to undo my seatbelt and began to lift me out of the truck.

"NOOOOO" I screamed as he put me down on to the floor and, whilst keeping a hand firmly on my upper arm, closed the door. "STOP IT!" I demanded as wriggled and squirmed in an attempt to release myself from my brothers hold.

"Enough" Jay raised his voice "stop" he warned as I continued my struggle. Suddenly, the sound of a car backfiring caught Jays attention and I used this to my advantage. I slipped my arm from his hold and took off away from the district without looking at my surroundings. I began to run across the road but stopped in my tracks when the deafening sound of a car horn rang out through the air.

Without warning I felt a pair of arms wrap around my waist and pull me back to the sidewalk, causing us both to crash to the ground with Jays body breaking my fall.

Jay was quick to put me back on to my feet and crouched down in front of me, scanning my body for any visible injury.

"Are you ok? Are you hurt?" He asked seriously as he held me firmly by the shoulders. I shook my head silently and watched as Jay closed his eyes and let out a relived sigh. His face soon hardened and he was quick to turn me to the side and sharply smack my butt a handful of times making tears spring to my eyes "what the hell where you thinking?" he demanded. He turned me back to face him and his eyes met my watery ones making his hardened features soften.

"'M sorry" I said as my bottom lip began to quiver. Jay let out another audible sigh and he quickly pulled me in to his arms protectively making my sobs increase.

"Shhh" he soothed as he held me close and rubbed soothing circles on my back "you're ok sweetheart" he assured as he continued to whisper comforts in to my hair.

After a couple of minutes my sobs died down and turned to sniffles. Jay moved me away from him so he could see my face and sighed. He used his thumb to wipe away some of the stray tears and leant forward, giving me a kiss on the forehead.

"C'mon" he said as he stood up in front of me "let's get off the street" he suggested. I held my arms up in silent indication and Jay understood, hooking his hands under my arms and resting me on his hip.

"Hey, are you two ok I saw what just happened" Platt said as Jay carried me in to the district.

"We're fine" my brother assured "we do, however, need to have a conversation about running off" he added as Trudy buzzed us up and Jay carried me up the stairs.

"You're late Halstead" Voight said as Jay carried me over to his desk and put me on the floor beside it.

"Sorry, but this one here decided to run off in to the road" Jay explained as I tearfully wiped my nose.

"You need a couple of minutes to sort that out?" Voight asked making my brother nod,

"Go sit down in the break room Gracie" Jay instructed and I began to grumble in defiance "now" he warned making me turn around and do as instructed.

I sat down at the table and waited patiently for my brother to come in, kicking my legs back and forth. Jay soon walked in and closed the door behind him.

"Do you understand how dangerous that was Gracelyn?" He asked me. I shrugged silently making him sigh.

"I told you I didn't wanna come here and you didn't listen" I reminded "that's not my fault" I added decidedly.

"I understand that you didn't wanna come here today but that does not excuse you running away from me and running in to the road" he lectured "what would've happened if I hadn't of pulled you out of the way in time?" He asked "I'll give you a hint, you would still be spending the day with Will but you'd be on a hospital bed instead" he ranted. "Is it ok to be running away from people?" He asked and I shook my head "huh?" He prompted.

"No" I mumbled.

"And what are we supposed to do before crossing the street?" He asked.

"Look both ways to check for cars" I replied with a sniffle.

"Did you do that?" He asked and I shook my head.

"No" I admitted.

"It's not ok to run away from people and it's definitely not ok to run in to the road" he lectured "you never do anything like that again Gracelyn Halstead do you understand me?" He asked and I nodded sadly.

"Yes" I confirmed "'m sorry I didn't mean to make you mad at me" I apologised making my brothers face soften.

"C'mere" he sighed as he opened his arms for me to climb in to "I'm not mad at you sweetie but you scared the hell out of me" he admitted as his hold on me tightened slightly "if I hadn't pulled you out of the way you could've been seriously hurt. It's my job to protect you and I was a few seconds away from not being able to do that" he explained "that's why I need you to promise you'll never do it again" he said.

"Pinky promise" I said making my brother smile as he locked his large pinky with my much smaller one.

Just then there was a knock at the door.

"Hey, Trudy buzzed me up but she said there was some kind of problem?" Will said as he walked in and closed the door behind him.

"Gracie decided run away from me and run in to the road" Jay informed making our other brothers eyes widen.

"Gracie, that's seriously dangerous" he chastised.

"We've had a conversation about it and she understands that" Jay assured making Will nod "she promises never to do it again" he added "don't you" he prompted my squeezing my arms lightly.

"Never ever again" I confirmed making will shake his head with a soft smile.

"Right, well then I guess we'll say no more about it" he sighed "are you ready to go?" He asked and I nodded.

"Have a nice day" Jay said as he planted a kiss on my cheek "and be good" he added as he lightly swatted my butt.

"I will" I replied before taking Wills hand and walking back home. Not letting go of Wills hand until we where safe and back in our apartment. 

AN! I hope everyone enjoyed the chapter!

Did Jay handle this correctly? Let me know your thoughts!