Cheating

Gracies POV (10 Years Old)

I sat in my science class with a feeling of dread bubbling in my stomach. I have a math test after lunch. Urgh! Why does math have to be so hard?! Like seriously, when am I gonna use it?!

"Gracie" James whispered as he nudged me slightly.

"Sorry what?" I asked, assuming that I'd missed out on something.

"What's up with you?" He whispered back.

"I'm dreading this test, there's no way I'm gonna pass!" I exclaimed "I'll be lucky if I get a D" I added. I watched as James looked around the class before leaning in closer to me.

"Meet me at lunch behind the tree in the back of the playground" he instructed, making me frown in confusion.

"What, why?" I asked curiously.

"Just do it" he sighed before turning back to his work in front of him.

I tried to concentrate on the class I was in, but it was really hard when I kept trying to work out what James wanted to meet me for.

After an agonisingly long time, the end of class had finally arrived and I found myself walking nervously towards the large tree in the playground.

I stood there for five minutes before James walked over to me and pulled me further out of sight.

"I can help you with the math test" he said, making me frown.

"What do you mean? How can you help me?" I asked curiously.

"First, you have to promise not to tell a soul," he said, making me even more nervous.

"I promise" I nodded apprehensively.

James took one last look around to make sure no one was nearby before pulling a sheet of paper out of his backpack.

"Here" he said as he handed me the paper, my eyes widening when I realised what I was looking at.

"How did you get these?" I asked, my stress already disappearing from my shoulders.

"I was in Miss Walsh's class for detention and she left the room. She didn't realise she's left her laptop open on the math quiz answers" he explained "write them on the inside of your pencil case, but make sure to get a few wrong" he said and I nodded.

"Thanks James," I said gratefully. I know cheating is wrong and my brothers would definitely kill me if they ever found out. But hey, they're not gonna find out. Plus they'd kill me if I got a D anyway!

James wandered off and I sat down by the tree to write down all the answers on the inside of my pencil case like he'd instructed before stuffing the paper into the front of my backpack with the intention of putting it in the trash later on.

"Okay class" Miss Walsh announced "heads down and pick up your pencils. If you have any questions put your hand up" she said before everyone picked up their pencils and began the test.

I stared at the sheet in front of me, dread rising in my stomach with every passing second. 'Just look in your pencil case, you have the answers right there'. I bit my lip nervously before copying the answers from my pencil case on to the paper discreetly. Or so I thought.

I jumped out of my skin when I felt a tap on my shoulder and looked up to see a furious Miss Walsh.

"Hallway. Now." She ordered. Yep. I'm dead.

With a heavy sigh I made my way out of the classroom, followed shortly by Miss Walsh.

"I believe something fell out of your bag" she said, holding up the piece of paper with all the answers on it "and I also see you've taken the liberty of writing them down in your pencil case for extra help" she added sarcastically.