𝐒𝐈𝐗𝐓𝐄𝐄𝐍

THE DAY THAT WASN'T

THE HANDLER WAS slurping loudly on her drink, irritating me a bit

THE HANDLER WAS slurping loudly on her drink, irritating me a bit. She had invited us for lunch. The two of us sat next to each other, avoiding eye contact. Five and I were still awkward about what happened in the bathroom.

I'd be lying if I said I didn't have a tiny crush on Five. But what do I know about falling in love? I was literally in a coma for 17 years.

Plus, I'm pretty sure I'm overthinking. Maybe I only felt that way towards him because I hadn't seen him in a very long time.

"And that's how Phil determined that the archduke just had to go." The Handler finished her story. I snapped out of my thoughts.

"Care for dessert?" She asked.

"I had a bad Twinkie in the apocalypse once. It kind of put me off desserts." Five said.

"No wonder you're so bitter." I mumbled. He heard and looked me in the eye, behind that innocent smile was a murderous glare. I sarcastically smiled back at him, gladly taking up the Handler's offer for dessert.

I grabbed a piece of candy from the bowl. So did Five. I plopped it in my mouth, and the good sweetness coated my taste buds. This was so good. "What's that taste like to you?" The Handler leaned back into her chair.

 "What's that taste like to you?" The Handler leaned back into her chair

I pondered for a moment, savoring the sweet candy. "The 1950s?" I guessed.

"Precisely right. Our clever metaphysics division concocted a way to perfectly distill an entire decade into a single candy. This one's modeled after the Fudge Mutt, America's favorite in 1955."

"Remarkable." Five said.

"You'll be happy to know it's the very division that's building your new body." The Handler smiled. Please for the love of God, don't turn him back into a grandpa.

"Oh, that reminds me. I have something for you two." The Handler pressed a button on the intercom. "Carla? Would you bring the boxes in please?"

"Certainly." I heard Carla say. Soon after, Carla came in holding two boxes. She placed them down on the desk.