𝐏𝐑𝐎𝐋𝐎𝐆𝐔𝐄 𝐈𝐈𝐈

THE WAR MACHINE

Hide and Seek - Lizz Robinett
"0:35 ───────── -5: 32,

On the 12th hour of the first day of October 1989, 16 women around the world gave birth

On the 12th hour of the first day of October 1989, 16 women around the world gave birth. This was unusual only in the fact that none of these women had been pregnant when the day first began. Sir Reginald Hargreeves, eccentric billionaire and adventurer, resolved to locate and adopt as many of the children as possible.

He got eight of them

Reginald Hargreeves prowled the training area of the Academy. A stern expression on his face to indicate his professionalism; lips thinned under his goatee and his eyes sharp as a blade.

His experiments were included within each room. He entered the training rooms, monitoring their progress.

The hired technicians provided a brief update on their performance. Satisfied with their training, he continued on, eventually reaching a narrow corridor. The deeper he went, the stronger his subjects.

Reginald passed several training areas without breaking stride. He arrived at a secluded testing room: a private area for a certain, more important experiment. He entered the code for the padlock. Immediately, the iron door opened with a squeak. Metal lined the walls, the lights shone brightly in the room.

Through the observation window, artificial terrain and obstacles filled the space. Trees, wooden bunkers, and barricades could be seen on the battlefield. The monitors showed a group of frightened-looking armed soldiers. All of them scattered as the numbers slowly decreased.

The massive monitors displayed the terrified soldiers reacting to the figure heading their way. The soldiers froze when they saw the little girl before them. The men cocked their guns as she drew closer.

Crimson red painted her like a fine piece of art, a smile of bliss on her face as she suckled the blood off her finger. Her smile sent a cold shrill down each of their spines. She was a monster concealed in a child's body.

Their blood ran cold when the object she held in her hand came into view. A decapitated head of their former comrade; the horrified look lingered on his dead face, staring into their souls. They all murmured in alarm, feeling their stomachs churn.

"You left your friend." Number Eight said, her voice innocent and sweet. The way she spoke so nonchalantly sent a shiver down their spines. It didn't fit the scene. She presented the head, gripping her tiny fingers into his scalp. The rifle in their hands shook, sickened by the scene. She arched a brow, perplexed as to why they were so shaken.

"Kill the demon!" One of the soldiers yelled. Shots fired at once when the horror came into view. Guns and bullets danced in the air, an expression of excitement spread on the small girl's face. In a blink of an eye, she disappeared.