Ch 34: Burden Memories

"Hearing this tedious chatter is exhausting." Said by Claude while entering his room followed by his royal guard, Felix.

"Shouldn't I be by your side, sire?" Felix asked following him as a worried expression were plastered around his face. "That way I could be your assistance when you have things you can't remember or want to know."

"Get out at once." He ordered but the royal guard insisted still following him with a frown on his face.

The emperor stopped his tracks infront of his bed opening the curtain placed all around his bed.

"What are these weird things? Some kind of voodoo talisman?" He looked at the drawings that was placed on the wall. "This must be proof of that brats playing tricks."

"My goodness!" Felix made an 'O' expression smiling brightly once he saw the drawings. "You kept these all this time?"

"Ah, I've always known that you kept Princess Athanasia and Princess I Ambrosia dear to your heart but I never knew you'd go as far as to cherish these.." Felix smiled brightly while the emperor looked confused.

"These are the drawings that the princesses gifted your majesty, when they were younger." He explained as the emperor started to look more confused. "They must have preservation spell cast on them."

"These drawings are from such a long time ago, yet they're not even the slightest bit faded."

"You always received the princesses's drawings with such a stuck up attitude. Yet you were keeping all these safe behind our backs.." Felix smiled smugly teasing the emperor who's clearly confused about what he's saying.

"Haa, looking at them brings back fond memories." He smiled like a cute puppy then again spoke. "You seem to have arranged them from oldest to newest starting from the left, quite excellent, your majesty."

"Oh look! You even septated princess Ambrosia and princess Athanasia's drawings. "Ah! That reminds me, sire, would you like to look at the other pictures?"

"You're saying there's more?" He finally spoke deadpanning. "No, don't tell me anything else. I don't need to see anymore of these crazy drawings."

"Ah, I beg your pardon, I may have used the wrong words for you to get it, I meant the portrait done by the royal painter." The emperor stopped his tracks looking at his royal guard smiling.

Felix then started walking towards the red curtain before looking at the emperor. "The colors may fade if it's exposed to natural light for too long, So don't leave the curtains for too long."

With that he opened the curtain revealing a portrait with the emperor sitting on the chair while the two princess were standing beside him.

Athanasia at the left while Ambrosia was on the right smiling sweetly just like her sister, Athanasia.

The emperor stared at it lost in thoughts which Felix noticed. "I will be at the door." He uttered walking away.

"Hah, I've lost my mind."

***

"You." Athanasia called the blue bird that she received from Ijekiel not long ago. "Eat well."

"There, good girl." She lazily said. Ambrosia and Athanasia's life has been boring ever since the emperor lost his memories of them.

"How boring." Ambrosia said laying at the sofa looking at the ceiling with her dull eyes.

"Princesses, May I come in?" A familiar voice spoke knocking on the door.

"Yes, you may come in." Ambrosia said out loud for the maid to hear it clearly.

The door opened reveal Hannah with a small smile on her face. "Tired?" She asked smiling hesitantly. "I've made the two of you some madeleines."

"Ah, yummy."

"Thank you, Hannah."

"But is it just me? The palace seems very quiet today" Athanasia looked at her stuffing the food on her mouth.

"It's because there's no Lucas, if he is here, Ambrosia and him would bicker non-stop." Athanasia explained lazily. "And it's also because.." she stopped remembering her father's word ringing in her ear.

'Who are you?'

Hannah quickly cleared her throat thinking of another topic. "Ah! I heard, There's a banquet being held in the palace this evening."

"They said more hands were needed to prepare for it. So Ces and a few others from our palace were sent to help." She smiled sweat dropping.

"Ah, wow."

"Everyone must be busy."

"W-we asked the cook to prepare something extra special for dinner, so let's have nice time by ourselves tonight." She smiled once again thinking of another way to cheer the princesses up.

"Thank you, Hannah." Athanasia uttered letting out a small smile followed by her sister.

"Stop." A voice ordered getting everyone's attention, Lily quickly stood in front of the princesses protecting them.

"What business do you have to our princesses?" Lily asked nervously
with a slight wide eyes.

The knights didn't respond until one of them nudged the other knight. "We have his majesty's order to bring princess Athanasia and princess Ambrosia right this instant."

***

"I present you, princess Athanasia De Alger Obelia and princess Ambrosia De Alger Obelia."

"Athanasia."

"Ambrosia."

"With a curious unbecoming of me."

"I have let the two of you, the wench who dared to ridicule me live." The people started gasping and murmuring gossiping about the situation. "But even days like this, the two of you keep disturbing my peace of mind."

"What should I do?"

"Should I just kill the two of you?"