Gwendalynn | 1

When we met...

JULY - 2010

"Third time! Third time I had to go down to the police station and get you out of the JDC!" my dad shouted angrily.

"Kyle, this isn't okay. You can't just go around spray painting overpasses," Mom explained softly. She's pretty gentle with me when I get in trouble while my dad is the complete opposite.

I rolled my eyes. "No one even goes under it anymore! It's not like I was doing any harm," I protested.

"You wrote profanities on it, son!" Dad bellowed, louder than before.

"I'm sorry!"

He crossed his arms above his chest and glared at me. "No. You're not." 

I sighed heavily, leaning back on the chair and stretching my hand out on the table while the other dangled from the arm.

"So, what's the community service this time?" I asked boringly, rubbing my forehead.

"I've already set up your community service with the station and I'm sure the judge will be fascinated by the idea as well when I tell him you've already got something to do. You're going to help out serving with the meal ladies at Davidson Hospital until summer is over. You're also grounded. No TV and your curfew is t-."

"Wait, what? No! I'm not working at a hospital with sick and old people!"

"It isn't your choice."

"You guys are kidding, right?" I laughed humourlessly, turning to my mom.

She shook her head and huffed. "No, we aren't. You need to start thinking, Kyle. You're getting way out of control."

I shook my head. "This is so stupid."

"Go to your room, Kyle," my dad ordered, shaking his head in disappointment.

They had to be deluded. There was no way I was going to work at a hospital. So many things could go wrong.

I quickly stood up from my chair and marched from the kitchen. Going upstairs and entering my room, I slammed the door for my parent's benefit. What were they going to do that they already haven't done anyway? Kill me? I'm sure the stupid hospital will take care of that.

I sluggishly flopped onto my bed, feeling exhausted from the tiring day at the station and the seemingly endless lectures from my parents. I jumped, feeling the vibration of my cellphone in my pants. I quickly searched through my pocket and to my surprise saw that my brother was calling. I hesitated before answering. It'd be eleven o'clock in New York which is where my brother attends college. What if he butt dialed? I could only imagine what he's doing right now - which I'd rather not think about.

"Hello?"

"You're not in jail?" Kory gasped.

"Not anymore. Dad got me about an hour ago." I turned on my side and stared at my alarm clock.

"Wow. I was positive they'd take you in longer this time."

"Wait, how'd you know I was taken in?" 

"Mom told me you did graffiti again." By the tone of his voice, I could tell he was probably rubbing the back of his neck in frustration.

I didn't answer Kory for a few minutes. He was the one who broke the silence.

"What's the punishment this time?" he asked, sounding vaguely like myself when I asked my father.

"Helping ladies at a stupid hospital, curfew, and I'm grounded. No TV."