Gwendalynn | 11

When I gave you a Christmas present...

DECEMBER - 2010

"I'm goin' out to go get Mom and Dad somethin'. Comin'?"

There really was nothing else to do, so I got up and trailed after my brother. He'd gotten here from New York last night around three a.m. My mom went to go pick him up while my dad and I just stayed home and watched TV. It was great having a better relationship with my dad. I haven't had one in a really, really long time. And it definitely sucked.

This morning, my parents went out, probably to go Christmas shopping too since it's almost a week away.

Kory and I took his old car which we never used. He didn't want to take it to New York because then he'd have to drive it from here all the way there and he's not a big fan of long distance driving. He also kept telling my mom he wouldn't have enough money to pay for gas if he still wanted to eat on a regular basis, which is pretty much impossible when you're in college.

"Thinkin' about getting something for Gwen?" Kory asked.

Oops.

He glared at me. "Seriously, Kyle?"

I shrugged. "I dunno, I haven't really thought about it."

"Well I think you should." He started the car and we headed to what I assumed to be the mall.

"Why?"

"C'mon, bro. I know you like her."

Crap.

"How many times do I have to say-"

"I know, I know, you say you don't, but you do."

"When is it gonna get through your head that I don't?"

"When you actually don't."

"How do you know I do?" I quirked an eyebrow.

"Because I know you get a little nervous whenever we talk about her, and you got really pissed when you found out we emailed each other, and from the way Mom talks about you and her-"

"Mom doesn't know anything."

"She told me about how her parents found out you got arrested."

"You say it like I'm a criminal."

"Well you have done it three times."

"It meaning graffiti."

"Either way, bro. Her parents got mad because you got arrested, big crime or not."

"It was spray paint."

"That said 'eff the world.'"

"Your point?"

Kory sighed, staring out the window and taking a left. "Look Kyle, I know that if her parents wanted you out of her life, and you didn't have a thing for her, then you'd leave her alone without a second thought. But you asked her parents to give you another chance."

"Just because I asked for another chance, doesn't mean I like her."

"Kyle, just give it up. Yes, you do."

"Why are you bugging me about this?!" I snapped.

"I want you to take the chance you've got. You have the opportunity to be more than friends with Gwen, Kyle. Take that chance."

"She's sick."

"You said she's gotten better, didn't you?"

That's true.