Gwendalynn | 31

When I chose you over Noah...

JUNE - 2012

"We're going to be seniors next year, guys, seniors!"

I'm starting to understand that Noah does this after every grade. He went crazy last year, repeating how we were going to be juniors over and over. It went by so fast.

"Jason is having a party later," Ryan told us nonchalantly.

I turned to him. "At his place?"

He nodded.

It was the last day of school and Gwen was counting on me to see her tonight. I was planning on taking her to the beach tomorrow and after what happened at the last party the guys took me to, I was sure I was going to end up drunk.

"I'll pass."

"C'mon, man. It's the last day of school. It's a pool party." Noah encouraged.

I shook my head. "I'm taking Gwen to the beach tomorrow."

Noah rolled his eyes. "You can go to the beach some other time, Kyle."

I pressed my lips together, confused as to why his tone of voice was so annoyed. "Noah, she's counting on me this time. I've been screwing up left and right with her. I can't bail on her this time."

"She's your girlfriend, Kyle, not your mom."

"You're right, she is my girlfriend. And I want to keep it that way," I retaliated, narrowing my eyes at my best friend.

We were staring directly at each other, Ryan standing on Noah's left and my right.

"K guys, back up." he warned, taking a step between us.

We ignored him.

"You know what, if she's so special, go! We'll have fun without you!"

"What's your problem?!" I questioned Noah. "I'm skipping one party to go with my girlfriend on a date she and I have been planning on for a week!"

He was about to retort, but hesitated, shaking his head. "Nothing, I just don't think she's worth it, that's all." He shrugged nonchalantly, making me even more pissed off.

I took a step closer to him, my fists clenching. "What the hell is that supposed to mean?"

"I just think she's phony."

"Well your opinion on my girlfriend is irrelevant, so talk shit on someone else, alright?"

Noah gritted his teeth before glaring at me and slowly turning his back. "Let's go, Ryan."

Ryan gave me an uneasy look before patting my back and mumbling a goodbye. I didn't answer him, instead, keeping my eyes on my childhood best friend. I thought these guys were the only ones that truly accepted her, I was obviously wrong.

What did he mean by 'phony' anyway? Gwen wasn't phony. Maybe Noah was seriously so stuck up on the idea that Melissa dumped him because he was a douchebag at a party and he couldn't handle it. I wasn't sure, but he didn't know shit about my relationship so he had no right to talk about it like that.

I wasn't okay with what he said. Noah knew better than to talk like that. What had Gwen ever done to him? Nothing. I guess he just couldn't accept the fact that I can keep a relationship and he can't.

...

It was blazing at the beach. Gwen and I had set our towels out, sprawling our bodies on them. She wore Ray-bans and a two piece blue swimsuit. She wasn't okay with her body, the scars reminding her as ugly flaws. I'd reminded her that she looked perfect no matter what, but her insecurities got the best of her.