Gwendalynn | 13

When you went home...

JANUARY - 2011

"Hey guys, this is Kyle. Maybe he could sit over here with us?" Ryan asked towards the sophomores.

I spotted Connor glaring at me from his spot all the way at the end of the table. Nobody really answered Ryan. Instead they just stared at him. Ryan took that as a yes and he sat down, making room for me. I glanced at my old table. My lonely one-person table. I missed it.

"You're Kory Hastings's little brother right?" an african boy with a shaved head questioned, pointing a finger at me.

"Yeah."

"You know a guy named Quaashie Jones?"

I knit my eye brows in confusion. "Yeah, he's my brother's best friend."

"I know." he nodded, smirking.

I was confused. I didn't get what he was indicating. The tips of his lips started to curve into a mysterious smile. Then, I saw the resemblance.

"Oh my god! Noah?!" I gasped.

"'Bout time you noticed."

We pounded fists and did the usual guy handshake Noah and I used to do.

"You still remember it?!" I laughed.

"You can't forget a handshake like that, man! Especially with your best friend!"

"You guys know each other?" Ryan pointed at us.

I ignored him. "Why are you back here?"

"My mom got a job and finally left my dad." Noah replied.

"Where's Quaashie? Wait, let me guess..."

Noah nodded. "He's at uni. LSU."

"Are you serious?" I felt a strong happiness for Noah's brother, Quaashie. He'd been wanting to go LSU since fifth grade, dreaming about one day being on the team of the Tigers for football.

"Yep! What about Kory? How's he?"

"He just left back to New York. He goes to NYU."

"Holy shit! NYU?!"

"NYU!" I confirmed.

"Hold up. How d'you guys know each other?" Ryan questioned once again.

"My older brother, Quaashie, is Kyle's brother's best friend."

"Small world..." Ryan mumbled.

"How 'bout it! How's the last several years been, man? I haven't seen you since like I was ten!"

Which also happened to be the last year I had an actual friend.

"I know. Everything's a lot better. Once they caught my dad-"

"They caught your dad?!" I gaped at him.

"Yeah, took them a while to get the evil bastard but he's finally gone for good."

"I bet that's nice."

"Hell yeah it is!"

Quaashie and Noah had an abusive father. He was a drug dealer too, and his family was always on the run. Their mom was too scared to ever leave him so she stayed with the guy. Last time I saw them was back in 2006 in the summer. Quaashie and Kory met in the lower grades and instantly became friends. They stayed for a few years before moving again once the cops found his dad. It really sucked.

"When did you guys move back?" I questioned, narrowing my eyes.

"Mom found an apartment during Christmas break-"