Gwendalynn | 16

When I meant it...

MARCH - 2011

I stood at my locker, looking for my Maths text book. Where was it? I didn't leave it at home... Did I?

"God, look at him! He's so hot." a girl said across the hall behind me. If she was trying to be quiet, it wasn't really working. It was getting annoying, actually.

"He looks like Channing Tatum." someone else suggested.

"But hotter." the first girl added.

Another girl scoffed. "No one is hotter than Channing Tatum."

"Turn around and see for yourself."

Silence.

"Oh. My. God."

I heard this stuff all the time, so I didn't turn, but god, it was really getting annoying. Wherever I walked, some 'hot' dude was being talked about. I wonder which one it is this week.

"I heard he shaved his head because he's going to military school." another girl whispered loudly.

"I highly doubt that. He hasn't gotten in trouble since last summer."

I finally gave up, deciding I most likely left the book at home. I could ask to share with someone...

"What if he shaved his head because someone he knows has cancer or something." a higher pitched girl gushed. "That would be so sweet!"

I stiffened. Who exactly was this guy?

I turned to the little group of girls who were all staring at me. They're eyes widened and they all stood frozen. I turned around, feeling really confused before quickly shutting my locker and fast-walking straight to Math class. They weren't talking about me. No girl thought I was even close to good looking at this school. They knew nothing about me. They... They don't even know my name.

I sat down at my usual desk once I got into the classroom and started to think. No one knew about Gwen. I hadn't told anyone. They're just... They're-

Someone tapped my shoulder. I turned to see Ryan.

"Hey, bro." he smirked.

"Sup."

"You're the talk of the day for the girls, man."

"What?"

He gave me a playful flat look. "You don't seriously believe that the girls aren't talking about you, right?"

"Why would girls be talking about me?"

"Ever since you got that hair cut, you're apparently a model."

"It wasn't to get attention." I mumbled, avoiding eye contact.

"Of course it wasn't... But it did."

I glared at him.

"You should be proud, man." He swat me on the back. "You could probably get a few girls here and there."

I stiffened. He laughed behind me, taking what he'd just said as a joke. I wasn't sure if Ryan knew or not, but girls barely acknowledged me. Now that I sit at the 'cool' table with all the athletics and have a shaved head, I'm all of a sudden the next 'Channing Tatum' or so that's what the girls said.

I don't even know who that is!

Right then, Mrs. Jenson walked in. I tried to actually pay attention, but it didn't work out so well. I was feeling a little weird. Girls actually noticing me was something I wasn't exactly used to.