Gwendalynn | 35

When we were all thankful...

NOVEMBER - 2012

"Are you sure that's the answer?" Alice asked, raising her eyebrows.

I nodded. "Right there." I pointed to the calculator.

Alice nodded and quickly scribbled down the answer.

Currently, Alice and I had a free period. She found me here in the library working on some Maths homework and asked me if she could join. We happened to be in a few classes together other than tech. It was nice. I liked spending time with her when we had to partner up.

"You know Kyle; I've been meaning to ask you something."

I glanced at her then back to my paper. "Okay."

"My aunt is having a wedding on the fifteenth. She wants everyone to bring a partner. You're kind of the only guy my parents know and frankly, the only one I'm comfortable around."

I stopped writing and sat up to get a better look at her. Alice was playing with her pencil in her lap, avoiding eye contact.

"I was, um, wondering if you'd come... to accompany me, you know?"

I nodded. "S-sure. I think so."

Alice blushed, looking up at me in surprise.

I chuckled. "You don't have to be embarrassed."

"Shh!" the librarian scolded.

We turned our heads to see the ornery woman. She glared at us before looking back at her computer. I rolled my eyes and turned back to Alice.

"I didn't think you'd really go through with it." she mumbled.

"You're my friend, Ali. Of course." I smiled.

She smiled too then nodded.

After our free period, we went to lunch. Since Dave and Callum sit with us, so do their girlfriends and they're Alice's friends so occasionally Alice sits with us too. She had a very specific clique she belonged to. It was larger last year than it is this year. I wondered what ever happened to the strawberry blond that told me to 'keep her heart in one piece'. I don't recall seeing her much anymore. Of course, I see her in the halls and stuff but never with Alice or the girls Alice hangs out with now.

...

"I can't believe this is the end." Gwen said sadly.

I rolled my eyes. "You act like you just finished college."

Gwen shook her head, her face sad. "No, it's much, much worse."

I pursed my lips. "Gwen, it's a movie."

"Bella and Edward will never be together on screen again."

"Who knows, maybe they'll get back together and make another movie with each other."

"Ugh! Can you believe she cheated on him?"

I nodded. "Yep."

"How can you say that?!" she cried, giving me a very angry facial expression.

I wiped my eyes. "Gwen, I don't care about this crap."

She gasped dramatically, putting a hand to her chest above her heart. "How dare you!"

"Gwen."

"Ehem!" a boy said from in front of us.

I turned, irritated that he'd interrupted us until I realized we were eventually going to need the tickets to the movie.