Gwendalynn | Gwen OneShot #3

When you were diagnosed... - Gwen

November 10, 2006

FINAL GWEN ONESHOT

"Mom, my stomach's hurting again," I whined.

She didn't even glance down at me as we skimmed through Justice pajamas. I was clutching my stomach, squeezing my eyes shut. It's been hurting for the past few days but never like this.

"Do you need to go to the bathroom?"

I shook my head. "N-no."

She finally looked at me. "Then I don't know what to tell you, Gwendalynn. Did you eat something funny?"

I grimaced at her using my full name. "I..."

It all happened extremely too fast. Suddenly, sick was everywhere surrounding me. Employees were surrounding me and my mother, asking if I was okay. My knees buckled and I fell to the floor. My mother grasped my arm, pain pressed into my skin.

"Ow!"

"Is she okay?"

"Do I need to call someone?"

Different voices filled my ears, a number of people standing around us. I couldn't speak.

"Gwendalynn!" Mom shouted. "Let's get you to the bathroom. C'mon."

Then I vomited a second time, but this time, it wasn't acid.

"Oh my God!"

"Someone! Please call an ambulence! Now!" she screamed. She was still holding onto my arm, trying to lift me as she searched through her purse until she found her phone.

"Yeah, uh, there's this, um, little g-girl," I could see an employee say to the black phone, clutching the chord from the corner of my eye. "She's vomiting blood!"

I tried to keep watching her, but my eyes began drooping.

"Please hurry!"

"George, you need to meet us at the hospital!.. Gwendalynn's throwing up blood!.. I don't know! I don't know!.. At the mall!.. We already called an ambulance!"

The employee turned to us. "Is she still awake?"

Mom crouched down next to me. "Gwendalynn?"

I blinked slowly, my eyes closing slightly.

"She's losing consciousness!" my mother shouted.

Another employee began shouting to the others inside Justice. "Everyone, we need you to leave the store! Please. We'll hold your items!"

"Is she okay?"

"What's going on with that little girl?"

"Mommy?" I could hear a little boy ask. "Is that blood?"

A woman replied to him. "N-no, Jack, it's probably some juice."

"The ambulance is coming!" the employee shouted.

"Gwendalynn, stay awake, sweetie. Don't fall asleep, okay?"

I was breathing heavily. "I'm... I, uh..."

"I have this!" one of the employees said, rushing towards us with a bucket.

"Is she-"

But I was already vomiting again, getting most of it inside the bucket. I'm not sure how much time had passed, but the ambulance had finally arrived, but I was too out of it to see or understand anything. It was too hard to stay awake.

...

"What has she eaten today?" I could hear my father ask, sounding distressed.

"Nothing out of the ordinary."

"What did she eat, Denise?" he questioned firmly.

Mom sighed. "A piece of toast and some cereal."

Then a door opened, but my eyes didn't. They couldn't.

"Mr. and Mrs. Conrad?"

"Yes?"

"Hi, I'm Dr. Harris. I specialize in oncology, specifically Acute and Chronic Myelogenous and Myeloid Leukemia. We've taken some-"

"I'm sorry, what?" I heard Daddy interrupt. "Isn't Leukemia... cancer?"

I didn't hear a reply, which I then assumed was a nod.

"Gwendalynn doesn't have cancer," Mom insisted, laughing. "She's never had anything wrong with her. This is the only time..." she trailed off.

I heard the doctor sigh. "Mrs. Conrad, has Gwen ever-"

"Gwendalynn," she corrected.

"Gwendalynn," he said, "been... complaining about anything with her body lately?"

There was a short silence before my mother answered him. "She's been saying how her stomach's been hurting."

"How long?"

"About three days."

"I think you two should take a seat for this."

I heard the sound of creaking and then the doctor continued.

"We've taken some tests and it seems... that Gwendalynn has formed Stage 1 in Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia in several places, including a small portion of her midsection. It's a wonder how she managed to form it. Usually, it's diagnosed in older men."

"I think you should retest."

"That's the thing, Mrs. Conrad, I have. Three times."

A sob left her.

"This is impossible. How could she have cancer?" Daddy questioned.

"I don't have the answer to that question, Mr. Conrad, but I assure you that there is treatment. I recommend leaving Gwendalynn in the hospital for a week so that we can see how she's doing, see what her body can be compatible with. If she's fine, we'll conduct a few appointments and see what happens from there."

"So there's no cure."

"Like 99 percent of all cancers, I'm afraid not."

"This is insane. Gwendalynn can't have cancer."

A moment of silence took place and I wondered what was going on.

"We will try all we can to keep your daughter strong and healthy as long as possible," Dr. Harris assured. "I'll give you both a minute."

I heard the sound of a door close and it was fair to assume he left.

"How did this happen? How can she be sick, George?" Mom sobbed.

"I-... I don't know." Dad replied, his voice shaking.

"What are we going to do?"

He was quiet for what seemed like forever. "I have no idea."

And that was the worst thing I could ever hear. I didn't know much about what disease I had, but I had one, and it was bad. I had cancer.

I, Gwendalynn Summer Conrad, was diagnosed with Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia, a disease usually found in older men.

And there was no cure.

Happy 4th! It's a shame I won't be in the states to celebrate, but nonetheless, enjoy the day my fellow Americans! This is unfortunately the last OneShot in Gwen's POV. Short, I know, but it's difficult writing in her style. I hope you guys enjoyed!

TAG