Gwendalynn | Epilogue

EPILOGUE

Maybe the hardest thing about losing Gwen was the idea of me being alone again. Maybe it was the fact that I wouldn't find someone like her. I wouldn't be able to connect with someone the way I did with her.

Gwen was a blessing. She was a miracle. She was a God given gift to me. She was sent to me to change me, to show me what life really is about. She showed me that there were better ways to get away from my depression other than vandalism. She showed me I was better than what I thought, that I could use my talent for something greater.

Everything changed when she passed. I got the thoughts again, but I didn't let them overpower me like I had before. I took control. The first few months were the worst, but after a year, it got better. After all the counseling, I was a new and improved Kyle.

On the anniversary of her death or on her birthday, I try to see her. I try to tell her about what's been going on with my life. I know she already knows everything because she's watching me. I know she's proud of me.

The three years of my life with Gwen were wonderful. They were well worth it and if I had the chance to do it all again, I would. I loved her.

But now, I'm happy. I'm happy with another woman and with our two gorgeous girls. I have a house, a great job, fantastic parents, and an amazing brother. I still talk to Denise and George once and a while, but things aren't the same. They're happy for me.

I guess the thing is, death never set Gwen and I apart. Being apart from her meant forgetting her, not thinking about her, not visiting her.

I chose not to be apart from her. I chose to stay with her. Nothing set us apart, and even if I may not love her the way I did seventeen years ago, I know that the love we shared together was stronger than anything.

As cheesy as that sounds, I'm happy to admit it.

Death never set us apart and death never will set us apart, because I chose not to let it set us apart.

That's the thing with death. You can either let that person go or keep them. I kept Gwen. Always.

...

And as I finish Kyle's story, I'm sure you're all wondering what happened to everyone.

George and Denise considered divorce. The relationship between George and Kyle grew significantly over the years after the death of George and Denise's only daughter. He's told Kyle that he and Denise have wanted to live their lives separately but decided to stay together knowing their daughter would wish for that. They divorced a year after he told Kyle those words, three years after Gwen had passed. Kyle talks to George more than he does Denise. They both aren't dating anyone that Kyle knows of. George has an apartment in San Francisco, California and Denise moved to Utah with her family after the divorce was finalized. Both parents are not in contact, but only for Gwen's birthday and the anniversary of her death.

Kyle's parents, Julianna and Nathan are still happily married. Kyle, living in his own house with his own children, has gotten their family to grow and love one another more. Julianna is still a great chef, but is now retired. Currently, she has a little class she teaches with young mothers. Nathan is still the same strict parent. He retired from being a firefighter after being told from a doctor that his respiratory problems were getting worse due to all the inhalation from all the pollutants, so he stopped. Kyle says he's always making sure Kyle's being a great dad to his children, a better dad. He knows he was tough on Kyle over the years, but he also knows that because of it, Kyle turned into an amazing man as well. He learned.

Kory, however, is now a director. He's not as big as Steven Spielberg or Mel Gibson, but he's still pretty amazing. He followed his dream and I think that's what I admire most about Kyle's brother. Kory had dated Leigh-Ann for a few years before getting engaged. In 2017, they called off the wedding, realizing that the two had other interests before settling down. Kory has been dating a new girl named Haley. According to Kyle, she's great. She almost seems a little bit like Sophie.

Ryan and Noah are doing great as well, or so that's what's been said about Noah. Ryan's a father himself with three adorable little boys with his wife, Felicite. I've met her before when I went to visit Ryan for an interview about his relationship with Gwen. She's sweet. Kyle really likes her as well.

After college, Noah had mistakenly fathered a child on a drunken night after losing his job. He didn't get into a relationship with the woman which Kyle and I kind of found pretty cool, however, he does stick into the boy's life and is being the best father he can.

After high school, Noah and Kyle's friendship did not rekindle and the two haven't spoken to each other since the encounter at Kyle's house a week after Gwen's death. Kyle knows all of this information from Kory who received it from Quaashie. Mr. Jones did, unfortunately, get released from prison, but after the restraining orders were filed, the man never stepped a foot near the Jones family.

As for Alice, she's married, too. She has a son named Jace, one that looks exactly like her and her husband. She's not big and famous, but she's a singer alright, and she's making money with her talent.

And my good friend, Kyle Hastings is a father of two beautiful girls and the husband of a stunning wife whom he loves with all his heart. He lives in Los Angeles, California with a job that makes him happy. He owns an art gallery and is very successful with it. He's moved on from his first girlfriend who unfortunately passed away at the age of seventeen, but he's happy now. He's living a life he's glad to live and it's really all thanks to her.