Gwendalynn | 24

When you did something crazy...

OCTOBER - 2011

"I seriously can't believe we all got on the team!" Noah exclaimed, holding up his jersey and taking a good look at it.

"Me neither," I said, holding mine.

To say I was in complete and utter shock would be an understatement. I didn't think I'd really make it. Noah and Ryan had nailed the drills as did I. We succeeded what we'd been attempting for the past summer. Even though I'd done pretty well at the tryouts, there were others who were more coordinated than I was.

"Maybe it was how far you kicked," Ryan suggested.

I shrugged. I did kick rather far, the direction being quite accurate as well after all the practice.

Noah nudged me. "Maybe you should let your girl know."

I smirked. Gwen and I hadn't seen each other all week. I'd been caught up in school work. As a junior, the first month was rather tiring considering we hadn't done anything academically in the last three months of our lives.

I searched for my phone in my pocket. Before I could slide it open, three girls stood in front of Noah, Ryan, and I.

"We heard you guys made the team!" the one in front of Noah spoke.

Ryan nodded. "Yeah."

"You guys have anything to do this weekend?" the one in front of me asked seductively, eyeing me up and down.

"I actually do." I raised my hand, glancing at my two friends.

Noah shook his head. "Nope. I'm free." He smiled, looking at Ryan over my shoulder.

Ryan shrugged. "Me too."

"What do you have to do?" one asked towards me, giving me a confused facial expression.

"Believe it or not, I actually have a girlfriend." I explained, giving them a tight fake smile.

"A girlfriend?" the one in front of me shrieked. "Who?!"

"No one you know." I stated, lifting a hand and rubbing the back of my head.

"What's her name?"

"Gwen!" Ryan teased, smiling devilishly.

I turned my head, giving him a death glare.

He stared at me, confused. "Oh, you didn't want me to tell her?"

I sighed in frustration. "I'm sorry, girls, but..." I said, slipping my way through them. "I gotta go. I'll see you later, guys." I waved to my friends.

The girl speaking to me grunted as I walked down the halls.

"Don't worry, El. Whoever she is, she won't last."

I rolled my eyes. Stupid girls. They had no idea I'd been with Gwen for about three-four months now, this wasn't just some two week long relationship. Gwen meant so much more than that.

...

The first person I thought I should tell was Gwen. She'd been bugging about it all month, asking me if I knew I made the team yet. Take notice of the word made. Gwen had some strange assumption that I would certainly get on the team. I thought it was cute.

Maybe it's not a big deal, but to me, it made me feel pretty good. She made me feel like she was proud I was doing this and that she had faith in me - athletically.. I told my parents about it but I wasn't sure if they thought I'd kill the tryouts or not.