Gwendalynn | 26

When Alice and I grew a little too close...

DECEMBER 2011 - JANUARY 2012

Because Gwen gets sick easily, we weren't able to do the normal 'first year dates', like ice skating. I've never been ice skating and I can't roller blade for my life so I was kind of thankful, although I did want to experience those things with her. I know my girlfriend and she likes sappy stuff like that. I blame it on the books she reads.

But anyways, instead of having dates that can potentially put her health at risk and a possibility of me breaking my ankle, we had hot chocolate and watched movies. A lot of times, I would just go to her house. I've grown to like the Conrads more completely. I mean, I always liked them, but being around them like this with Gwen is a whole new level. I assumed the feeling was mutual as well.

She and I were currently watching Elf. To my surprise, she'd never seen it. The girl obviously didn't know a good comedy until now.

"I can't wait for Christmas," Gwen spoke next to me.

"Why?"

"I haven't had Christmas at home for years."

God, being in a hospital must be like being in prison.

"Right," I nodded.

"Do you want to come over?"

"For Christmas?"

Gwen nodded.

Without thinking, I agreed. It'd piss my parents off, I know that. Ever since Thanksgiving, my mom and I weren't really talking. Sure, it might be stupid that I'm holding a grudge like this, but it got me mad. What right does she have to go and say I should be with someone else instead of Gwen in front of another girl who happens to have feelings for me that I can't return? She was ignorant.

When the movie ended, I got up to go make some more hot chocolate.

"Want me to get you some more?" I asked Gwen, my hand stretched to reach for her cup.

She nodded, handing me the mug. I headed toward the kitchen. Finding some more packs of chocolate I remade our drinks. When the door opened, I knew it was Gwen's parents. They'd gone to go get dinner for all of us.

I was actually surprised they'd let us stay home alone. I mean, my parents will let me and Gwen go into my room alone with the door closed, but they wouldn't even think about leaving me in the house with her alone.

I guess the the Conrads assumed we wouldn't do anything. I've made that message clear to them as well, so...

"We're home!" Denise exclaimed.

They both came into the kitchen and stood confused for a moment before giving me a smile.

"Hey, Kyle. Where's Gwen?" George asked.

"She's in the movie room. I'm just making her more hot chocolate."

He nodded. "Were you kids okay here alone?"

I nodded. "Yeah. We finished our movie."

"Oh, do you want another one?"

"Hey, Mom, Dad." Gwen greeted from the doorway of the kitchen.

She walked towards her father and engulfed him in a hug. Whenever she acted this way, it didn't seem like she was my girlfriend. She seemed a lot more fragile and small, like a child.

"Hey, sweetheart." George smiled.

Gwen then walked over to me and wrapped her arms around my waist. She put her head against my chest while I slung my left arm around her neck, kissing her forehead. I could see in the corner of my eye, Denise's lips twitch upwards a bit.