Gwendalynn | 27

When you had your birthday party...

FEBRUARY - 2012

"The economy is a big deal when it comes to our society. Alice and I both agree that having more diverse jobs can regulate money trade and other necessities when it comes to other cultures not only in America. The more teenagers that go to college and graduate are more likely to have a better lifestyle by ninety percent." I stated.

"And as teenagers personally, going on to adults, we can specifically learn from the recent mistakes of our parents' lives to create a better society economically for our children and for theirs," Alice finished.

The class clapped, nodding their heads, approving our presentation.

"Excellent presentation, Mr. Hastings, Ms. Trescott. I'm impressed. I see the two of you have done exceptional work on these boards," Mr. Johnson said, scanning the tri-fold boards with the graphs and news articles Alice and I had done research on and printed out.

"They go in order by date from the 60s to now." Alice pointed out.

Mr. Johnson's face lit up. "A for the both of you. Great work."

What a nerd.

He let us take our seats, but before I could sit down, he asked us, "Oh, do you two mind if I keep these for future classes?"

Alice and I looked at each other before giving him the OKAY. He smiled and admired the work we'd done. Two minutes later, the bell rang. I gathered my things and slowly left the room, feeling good that all the work Alice and I had done had just paid off.

"Hey, um, Kyle!" Alice caught up to my side, holding her books in her right hand to her chest. "Are you okay with your girlfriend? I didn't mean to start any trouble."

I glanced at her. "Oh, no, she's okay. She was just... caught off guard."

We tried to stick together as we passed all the juniors getting through the halls. We finally got to my locker. Alice's was across the hall but decided to keep our conversation going as the students ran along. I figured she'd get her stuff once everyone cleared out, incase she'd run into someone and drop all her belongings. Alice was a clumsy one. I knew that very well.

"So, you guys are fine?"

"Yeah."

"Good, I didn't want to be the reason of a break up." she said honestly, rubbing her arm nervously.

"Well, Gwen wouldn't have a valid reason to break up with me. She did make out with some guy at that one Halloween party."

"Wait," Alice stopped, "that was her?"

I felt slightly embarrassed. Alice knew about this already. "Um, yeah."

She bit her tongue. "That's not cool."

"Tell me about it."

It was silent for a moment before Alice advanced closer to me. "I know it's none of my business and maybe it's because I only know a little about your girlfriend," she began, avoiding eye contact, "but you deserve someone who knows how much of a good guy you are, Kyle, not a cheater."

She bit her lip before dropping her gaze to the floor. She nodded before turning towards her locker. I was dumbfounded as I watched Alice walk down the hallway away from me. I wasn't offended, more than I was confused. Alice was right. But I loved Gwen too much to let this silly stupid mistake get between us. Besides, we were even now.

...

"What a run!" Noah panted, taking a seat on the bleachers along with me. "How the hell did you finish so fast?"