Gwendalynn | 12

When we all got the good news...

DECEMBER 2010 - JANUARY 2011

Kory will be leaving in two days, the day before New Years. He'd told Mom and Dad that he really wanted to see the ball drop this time in Times Square, since the last two Christmases he had New Years with us. I knew he was up; he's a morning person, which always pissed me off for some reason.

I wore a Hollister sweatshirt, the same one I wore the first day of my community service. The day I met Gwen.

Oh, god.

I sound like some lovesick teenager that's whipped. I guess I was close to being whipped, but man, I didn't know it'd get this far. It's weird having feelings for somebody. I mean, I've never exactly had feelings for anyone in my life, and I knew it'd happen someday, but... I don't know.

I walked out of my bedroom after checking myself in the mirror if I looked alright.

Get a grip, Kyle.

I headed to Kory's room and opened the door. He was sitting against his bed and looked like he was packing some stuff up. He turned to me as the door creaked, notifying my presence.

"Oh, hey Ky."

"Hey. Packing already?"

"Yeah, I'll never get it done if I don't start now."

"Does that mean you don't wanna come with me to see Gwen?"

"You wanna go now?"

I nodded and stuffed my hands into the pockets of my sweatshirt feeling slightly embarrassed.

"Sure, let's go."

We got into the car a few minutes after signaling my parents we'd be leaving. He pulled out of the drive way.

"Do you think she's eaten?" Kory abruptly asked.

I pulled out my phone and realized it was a bit before lunch time for Gwen.

"Probably not."

"What's her favorite fast-food place?" he questioned.

"Arby's." I answered without hesitation.

"Arby's it is."

Once we'd gotten two junior roast beefs and a curly fry, we headed to the hospital. I wasn't exactly sure if she'd be able to eat the food because of her condition, but I had seen her eat other normal foods.

We got to the hospital in less than thirty minutes. Kory and I headed to her room and knocked on the door.

Talk about awkward when Denise opened the door. She sucked in a quick breath before saying, "Oh, Kyle." I could tell she tried to sound light-hearted. "And Kory."

"Really?" I heard Gwen beam, and my stomach suddenly felt queasy. My hands began to get a bit sweaty, and I swear my heart sped up a little too. I don't know if that's possible but it seriously felt like it. The feelings I have for Gwen are just getting bigger and bigger.

Definitely whipped.

"Hey." I said, walking into the room completely with Kory behind me.

"Oh my god, is that what I think it is?" Her eyes widened as she caught a glimpse of the bag I held in my left hand.

"Yeah." I smiled, starting to feel more comfortable near her.

She held out her hands as I gave her the bag. She took a whiff of the appetizing smell and quickly snatched one of the sandwiches to eat.