Gwendalynn | 5

When school started...

SEPTEMBER - 2010

Ever since Gwen's transplant, her chemotherapy has really been kicking in. She's gotten to the point where sitting straight up hurts. She sleeps most of the evening time and wakes early in the morning, which sucks because then she's awake feeling pain with no one by her side. I wish I could be there with her, make her feel less of the anguish. In fact, I'd take all the torture she feels and put it on me if I could.

She can't walk very far anymore, so lately I've been sending her the food she usually orders. I've learned her appetite routine from seeing her every day of the week the past few months. I've noticed what she likes and dislikes. Usually, other staff members send Gwen her food, but I personally asked Lorenna and Misty permission if I could do it.

Misty, the woman she is, always smiles and nods. Lorenna scolds me into coming back down in twenty minutes all the time. I take my break with Gwen. They've noticed how close we've gotten since I've started my community service.

In a way, I was thankful. I would've never met someone like Gwen. I'd probably be out making some more trouble, wasting more of my parents' money with fines and all, in which I still haven't paid for, for my graffiti I had posted in July.

My family and I had gotten a bit closer also. My dad mentioned to my mom about Gwen's transplant and my mother was ecstatic to hear that I was devoting my time to Gwen's need. She pinched my cheeks and smiled, stating how I was "growing up" even though I'm almost sixteen.

Kory calls me more and asks how Gwen's doing every now and then since she's too tired to email anymore. He also finds it kind of me to visit her every day for lunch and give her the food she needs, which I'm doing now.

I gave her room door a small knock and opened it slightly.

"Oh! Gwen, look who's here again!" Leigh-Ann exclaimed.

Leigh-Ann's Gwen's nurse. She's a sweet woman, around the age of mid-twenties to early-thirties. She has long blond hair and a skinny body structure, with straight pearly white teeth and light blue eyes that make her face glow. Leigh-Ann's extremely kind to Gwen and me.

"Hey, Leigh-Ann." I smiled, taking a step towards Gwen's bed after putting on two protective gloves and a face mask. We had to do this after her transplant, in case we get an infection. Luckily, we weren't required to wear protective clothing since Gwen's transplant didn't lead to any serious issues, plus it was optional.

Gwen lazily turned her head, squinting through her eyes and grunting.

"How ya feeling?" I asked gently.

She made a small shrug before trying to sit up.

"Oh, hold on sweetie, let me adjust that." Leigh-Ann hurried toward the remote-controller for the bed and pressed the UP button, causing her bed to change position. Gwen immediately relaxed and stared at her food.

I set it on the tray and pushed it towards her. She made a face and snickered.

Ah, she's in that mood today.

"Well, do you need anything else, honey?" Leigh-Ann knit her hands together while looking intently at Gwen.

Gwen shook her head and mumbled a no.

"Alright, well then, I'll be back in a few hours." She turned to me. "Great to see you, Kyle!" she waved.

"You too, Leigh-Ann."

She nodded then turned to leave the room. I watched her as she closed the door, leaving Gwen and I to ourselves. I took a seat next to her bedside as she stared down at her food. She must've been awake for a while if she honestly didn't find her turkey sandwich appetizing. She loved turkey sandwiches.