Gwendalynn | 38

When your family visited...

FEBRUARY - 2013

I knocked on the door three times. I was surprised to see how many people were behind Denise when she opened the door.

"Get in! Hurry!" she gushed, pulling me in by the forearm gently.

"When's Mr. Conrad going to be here?" I asked.

"Soon. He said he just left the hospital."

I hadn't seen Gwen all week on purpose. She'd been so upset when I bailed again today which literally broke my heart, but little does she know.

"I'll have Gwen introduce you to everyone," Denise assured once she realized I was looking all around at the many unfamiliar faces.

The house was crowded with people that looked like George and Denise. Every single person in the house seemed to be brunette besides my parents and I. Mom and Dad had gotten here a little before three and I drove here as fast as I could after school ended.

The plan was: to tell Gwen that her mother had another shift at work when really, she was getting everyone situated in the house - everyone being Gwen's family. While she was doing that, I was to call Gwen and let her know that I have too much homework again to visit her at the hospital when I'm truly driving straight to her house. George was going to get Gwen from the hospital and bring her to the house for some 'father-daughter time' before Denise got home.

I really didn't think she'd catch on to this.

There was small chatter among the room, all of the Whites and the Conrads speaking amongst themselves, then everyone lowered to the ground once the door opened. Denise hurried and waved her hands. I hid behind the TV stand. Footsteps and wheels were heard down the hall and once we knew she was at the doorway, we all jumped.

"Surprise!"

Gwen was completely shocked as she took in everyone standing in her living room. She was silent for a moment before opening her arms out and gesturing us all to hug her. She struggled to get out of the wheelchair, her body desperately asking for help, but she insisted on getting up on her own.

As Gwen said her hellos to everyone, I realized how bad she'd gotten the past week. Her eyes were drooping slightly and her arms had a few new bruises. I wondered if she needed help using the bathroom or something. Her face was less full the last time I'd seen her and her teeth looked like they hadn't been brushed for a few days until today.

After she finished, she found me. I put my arms on her waist and kissed her gently for a few seconds. When we pulled apart, she hugged my torso, a small squeeze before letting go.

Gwen then pointed to one of her cousins. We approached a girl with dark black hair and bright blue eyes. She was slightly skinny and looked remarkably like Gwen.

"This is Elizabeth, my cousin. Eliza, this is my boyfriend, Kyle," Gwen introduced.

Eliza-beth gawked. "Boyfriend?! As in, boy-toy boyfriend?"

Gwen blushed and shrugged.

Eliza, or Elizabeth, stretched out her hand to me. I shook it slowly. Then a boy approached us.

"I couldn't help but hear that Gwen's got a boyfriend?" he said, raising his eyebrows suggestively.

"Kyle," Elizabeth added.

"Hi," the boy greeted, holding out his hand to me.

I shook it. Gwen went around the room, having me meet person after person.