Gwendalynn | 3

When you met Kory...

AUGUST - 2010

"Hey little dude!" My brother noogied me.

I pushed him away. "Back off, Kor!"

"Hey! Aren't you happy that I'm here?" he laughed.

I glared at him.

"Kory!" my mom shouted, arms wide open, indicating for a hug.

"Julie!" Kory sang.

"It's 'Mom' to you, young man. You're still my son!" she retorted.

"Mom," he smirked, correcting himself.

They hugged for a moment, then my dad budged in and clapped Kory on the back.

"How's college, son?" he asked proudly.

"Great! I got an A on my last exam!"

"Really?! That's amazing sweetie!" Mom exclaimed.

I groaned and sat back down on the uncomfortable airport seat. We waited for the terminal to clear out. So many people were here today, leaving and arriving to San Francisco. When is the airport ever not busy? I would enjoy picking up Kory during that time.

My brother continued talking to my parents while I took out my phone and started playing Temple Run. I could seriously care less about Kory's stupid grades.

"Alright, c'mon, it's pretty clear now," my mom said.

"Kyle! Hurry up!" my dad shouted.

I looked up to see them walking towards the exit. My mom had her arms around Kory's waist and he had his left hand on her shoulder. It's like they're trying to show off who their favorite child is. It doesn't bother me as much as it annoys me.

Once we'd gotten in the car, Kory took a seat next to me.

"So, Kyle! What's been up lately?" He buckled his seat belt as I did the same. "You know, besides getting in trouble by the police," he added.

I looked up, ready to shout at him, but he wasn't smiling. He wasn't in any type of a happy mood. He had sad eyes, looking dissapointedly at me.

"Kory!" Mom scolded. "We're not going to talk about that!"

I looked out the window, ignoring everyone else in the car. My dad quickly started up a subject before Kory could ask me anything about JDC. I didn't need to hear anyone else telling me that putting graffiti on the city's property is wrong, because I know it is. Everyone practically knows it. I don't need to be reminded. I do it because I like it.

When we got home, my mom immediately started dinner. I decided to go to my room. I jumped onto my bed and lifted my arms up to play with my smart phone. I began to play Temple Run again because it's really the only interesting thing to do at the moment. I was about to make a high score until I heard a knock on my door.

My brother slowly opened it and entered my room.

"Hey, Ky," he said quietly.

I didn't answer. I tilted my iPhone quickly in attempt to catch all the diamond gold coins.

"C'mon, bro. You can't ignore me forever," he whined, taking a seat on my chair next to my computer.

I sighed heavily before pausing the game and dropping my phone onto my stomach.

"What do you want, Kory?" I muttered, making eye contact.

He looked distraught.

"I want to know what's going on with you. Why are you acting like this... this... delinquent?" His voice was full of disgust. "Is somethin' wrong? Are you... like... depressed?"

"No! I don't know, Kory." I repositioned myself on the bed, sitting up. I leaned against my head board and lowered my eyes, fiddling with my fingers. I felt ashamed and stupid.

"Kyle, if this graffiti has to do with you being bullied-"

"No, Kory. I'm fine. I don't want to talk about it, okay?" I snapped.

He nodded slowly before saying more. "You got to stop the stupid graffiti. You're giving Mom near death heart attacks and making Dad even more stressed when you get into jail. You're smarter than vandalizing other people's stuff, Kyle." He leaned in closer to me. 

"I like doing graffiti, Kory. It's something that makes me, me." I retorted.

"Then don't do it on the damn buildings. Get good grades and study art. Give yourself goals. You can do graffiti in college, you know, like Yale or something. I think they have an art department, I'm sure they do. Or another art school. Don't do illegal stuff or else you won't be able to do it at all."

He was right. He was really right. About half of what he said.

"I don't have the brains to get into college like you do, Kory." I'm jealous of my big brother and his success. It's not fair, but I am.

"Stop saying that. Yes you do, you just don't try." 

I stayed silent. There was no point in arguing with him. He sighed, leaning against my black swivel chair.

"Now, tell me about this girl your friends with at the hospital," he smirked.

"Oh, god. Who told you?" I groaned, rubbing my forehead with my right hand.