Gwendalynn | 28

When you got jealous...

MARCH - 2012

"So, guys, I need help." Dave started.

We all looked up from chewing our sandwiches, giving him the 'GO' for why he's so freaked out.

"K, so Sheila wants to go to prom and she's like one of those sappy romantic girls and I have no idea what to do for her."

"Just ask her, Dave." Noah shrugged.

Dave laughed humourlessly, shaking his head. "You don't get it. No, Sheila wants it to be romantic. R-O-M-A-N-T-I-C."

I laughed. "Why're you freakin' out so bad? Get her some flowers and stuff them in her locker before she gets to school with a card that says 'Prom?'"

Ryan pointed at me with his thumb, nodding his head at Dave. "That works."

"Speaking of Prom, any of you guys goin'?" Noah asked the table.

He was answered by numerous yeses and groans, probably from the fact that their girlfriends are forcing them to go.

I shrugged. "Probably not."

"Why?"

"Why would I? Gwen wouldn't be able to come."

"You don't have to go with Gwen," Noah said.

"Oh yeah? And who would I go with?"

"Um, no one?" he suggested.

I shook my head. "I'll pass. It's Junior Prom anyway. Shouldn't it be for seniors?"

"It's for both," Ryan said. "The committee is already putting it together. I hear the theme is Paris or something."

Noah grimaced. "How are they gonna do that?"

"You'd be surprised," Chad budded in. "My sister went to a prom that was, like, out of Alice in Wonderland. She took pictures and everything. It was freakin' awesome. It was all blue and pretty and stuff. It'd be super cool if they did it again this year."

"That's nice. I'm glad you're gay, Chad," Drew joked, patting him on the back.

"Shut up, Henderson. At least I don't read romance novels!"

Drew gave him a hard stare before shouting at him. "It was one freakin' time and it was really good! You'd like it."

Ryan and I were laughing, but the subject got me thinking. I wasn't all that romantic, but if Gwen wanted to go to prom, I would take her and I would most certainly make it special for her. I started to wonder how I'd ask her. I'd probably have Kory help me with it.

At the end of the day, I was glad to remember it was Friday and I didn't have school for a while. So I called her.

"Hello?"

"Hey."

"Oh, hey! What're you doin'?"

"I'm driving home. Want me to pick you up?"

"Now?"

"Well, yeah. Are you busy?"

"No! No, I just... yeah, I'll run out to you."

"Alright."

...

"It's cold today," Gwen commented once she got into the car.

I turned up the heat. "I know."

Gwen leaned toward me and kissed me. "How was your day?"

I smiled. "Just got better."