Gwendalynn | 8

When you met my parents...

NOVEMBER - 2010

Beep...Beep...Beep...

I groaned and swung my arm to shut off the stupid alarm clock. I took a deep breath once the beeping stopped and sat up. My t-shirt was wrinkled and ratted up, exposing my stomach. I pulled it down and got out of my ruffled sheets. I rubbed my eyes, making my way to the bathroom. I heard my dad downstairs say goodbye to my mom, as she did the same to him.

I did my usual morning routine and then ate breakfast.

"Kyle? Sweetheart?"

"Yeah?"

My mom avoided eye contact while talking to me from across the table. "How's your friend, Gwen?"

"Oh, no." I mumbled, looking up at her. I know what's about to come.

"I just want to know!" She shrugged defensively.

"Uh, she's... she's fine."

My mom finally looked up and said, "I want to meet her."

My hand froze holding the French toast, keeping place right in front of my mouth. My lips faltered and my eyes stayed on my mother.

I slowly swallowed awkwardly, and then cleared my throat. "I'm sorry, what?"

"I'm serious, Kyle!"

"No, Mom. You aren't meeting Gwen."

"And why not?" She crossed her arms.

"Because... she's Gwen... and... you're..." I had a hard time thinking of a word. Mom raised her left eye brow. "you."

She dropped her arms and scolded. "Kyle!"

"Look Mom, she and I are not... a couple, so what's the point in meeting her?"

"She's your friend; probably your only one. I'd like to meet her someday. Besides, Kory's always saying how much you like her."

I narrowed my eyes. "Did he, now."

"I want to meet her, Kyle."

"Mom, I said no."

She huffed angrily. For a second, it was like we'd switched personalities, as if I were the one telling the child no.

"When will you be visiting her the next time?"

I glanced at my mom while taking a long sip from my glass of milk.

"Um, not for a while." I answered, looking away and scratching the back of my neck.

She shook her head and sighed, obviously annoyed of me. "Hurry up and get ready for school. The bus will probably be here at the stop in ten minutes."

I hurriedly finished my breakfast and left to school.

When I got onto the bus, no one really looked at me as a few of us chose our seats. I took the same one, the same one since my first my day of school and arriving onto this bus.

It was about ten minutes until school actually started. I walked into the halls, only to be engulfed into what seemed like hundreds of Freshmen, Sophomores, Juniors, and maybe a few Seniors. I walked forward, and then took a left, strolling to my locker. I used my combination, which was vaguely memorized, from my lack of memorization strategies.

I hurried and took a few books I'd need for my upcoming classes, since I've actually been trying to get good grades lately. I closed my locker and turned down to History.