𝟏𝟓. 𝐘𝐨𝐮 𝐜𝐚𝐧 𝐜𝐨𝐦𝐞 𝐰𝐢𝐭𝐡 𝐦𝐞

The Christmas holidays had almost arrived, those two totally useless school days were just left for both students and teachers. I'd already taken my exams, which probably had sucked, but I couldn't give a damn. I know I should have given a damn, as if I didn't pass them I would have been forced to spend another year in that crappy place, but I just couldn't, life is too short to be wasted on books studying.

I had seen Zayn very rarely, at breakfast he always left before I got there and at dinner he always disappeared. I saw him sometimes at lunch. At first he was completely hostile, he was silent and didn't speak even if someone pointed a rifle at him. Over time he has improved slightly, if you can consider talking only when Liam and Niall asked him a question, but without giving any information away. I had repeatedly tried to make up, but all my attempts had proved in vain. I'd also tried texting him, which he promptly ignored, and even mentioning and DMing him on Twitter that only resulted in having one less follower.

Liam had told me that he was being normal with him and Niall and that he probably wasn't really mad at me, but that he was too proud to accept my apology and admit he was wrong.

I often felt guilty because the argument with Zayn had not only driven away the two of us, but also Zayn away from Niall and Liam, who had nothing to do with this story. Not because he was angry with them, but because they were often with me and to avoid me, he avoided them too. That's why I sometimes went to eat at Louis and Josh's table in the evening, to be able to leave him some space with his friends, who he basically knew from before me.

Okay, maybe I didn't do it just because of that, but I swear that mostly it was really the reason.

To my surprise the three of us were once joined by Niall. Needless to say, people were all amazed by this fact: for almost a year no one had approached Louis and now besides me, Niall had joined. This caused even more of a stir as the latter had never hidden his terror of Louis and now found himself laughing and joking at his table.

Of course I knew the real reason he was there was Josh and not Louis.

It was amazing how much those two had bonded. The hangout thing started randomly, because of my crazy idea, but after it Niall and Josh had continued to talk. Not that I didn't also talk to Josh, but those two had really become best friends, they went around the whole school laughing and goofing around. If I had to bet I would have said that that was exactly what they had in common, the fact that they were complete idiots.

I also had a suspicion that they were plotting against me as sometimes when I approached them while they were talking they jumped and changed the subject immediately and started talking nonsense, like how the school stairs would've been nicer painted orange with blue handrails or the new brand of fabric softener used for the uniforms.

Louis in a moment of weakness had confessed to me that it bothered him that they were always together, because in his opinion it was a sign that Josh was getting tired of him. Of course I'd insisted that it wasn't like that at all, that Josh loved him and would always consider him his best friend. I don't think he believed me, but in any case he didn't talk about it again.

My relationship with Louis had made enormous progress and at the same time hadn't moved a step.

It had improved because now we spoke much more frequently, often even in the corridors or in the garden, in full view of everyone, who had gotten used to us in the meantime. Also the first time I asked him if I could have dinner with them, he didn't yell at me or make a fuss, he just nodded and said "Ok."

One day he had even called me 'mate'. All right, specifically he said, "Hey mate, can you pass me a napkin?"

I know very well that it's a phrase that is also said to the first one who passes by, but this hasn't stopped my stomach from twisting worse than the headphones' cable after being in my pocket. I fully realise how pathetic all of this was. In the end he didn't tell me anything, he didn't tell me he loved me or who knows what, he just uttered a typical sentence without thinking about it, but by now patheticness had become my principal characteristic.