𝟓𝟎. 𝐈𝐭'𝐬 𝐚𝐥𝐥 𝐲𝐨𝐮𝐫 𝐟𝐚𝐥𝐭!

After three days Liam finally came to us triumphant.

He enthusiastically told us that Zayn had finally decided to talk to him and that they were slowly working things out with him. He obviously tried to get us to talk to him like Josh and I had eventually done to Niall but of course we both ardently refused, come on, Josh had never even spoken to him, except when Daniel was hanging out with his and Louis' group. The blond also flatly refused.

One thing was Niall, who had accused Louis of having collaborated with Nick, which had already been difficult to forgive, another thing was to collaborate with Nick as Zayn had done, endangering the lives of their best friends. Liam was almost dead and I really couldn't believe that he of all people wanted to have him back as a friend. I had discussions with him on the matter. I tried to make him understand that Zayn wasn't the boy he thought he was and that he was one of those people that it was better to lose than to find. But he was stubborn, he said it was us who didn't understand. Liam was usually always quite calm, but the aggression he put into it when we got into an argument was impressive.

He was so convinced of this 'naivety of Zayn', as he liked to call it, that he even asked Louis to go and talk to him. To which he rightly responded with: "Are you stoned? We hated each other even before, why should things have changed? If anything, they've gotten worse!". But Liam didn't give up, he tried in every way to convince us through all possible and imaginable techniques, slipping pro-Zayn phrases into speeches so that they seemed like random statements, in the hope of convincing us or making us miss him.

But we were firm in our positions and once he was quite insistent we were close to arguing with him too. After that he decided to calm down a bit, but still continued to believe in his cause. I wouldn't have been surprised to see him hanging strange billboards all over the college. But I was also sorry to be too hard on him. I knew he was having a hard time, his girlfriend said she would contact him soon but since she helped him escape he hadn't heard from her. He was terrified that his father might hurt her.

"As long as it's me, I can bear it, but he mustn't touch her," he said one day. Not that he talked about it much anyway. In fact, he hardly ever talked about it and we were quite worried. He dodged the subject, occasionally he said something, but he had to decide when and how and in any case the discussion never went beyond a minute, because then he changed the subject. Liam could be so unpredictable at times, I didn't think I'd ever really figure it out. It wasn't like Niall who was an open book. Sure, except when he disappeared with Josh for hours and if you asked him what they did, he'd just say, "stuff." What the hell answer was that? And Josh the same. Louis was really starting to hate it. "It's all your fault!" he told me one day.

"Mine? And what would I have done?" I asked him incredulously. "You're the one who did Josh and the dyed blond meet! Josh wasn't so weird before." Evidently Josh must have just given him another mysterious answer, because he was only so nervous when this happened. "Are you saying you wish you never knew me?" I teased.

"No, I'm saying I wish they hadn't met," he retorted.

"But they are our respective best friends, it was obvious that sooner or later they would meet," I told him, obviously rolling my eyes.

"Then I preferred later," he stated decisively.

"Like when?" that speech was starting to take a crazy turn and the funny thing was that we almost always ended up like this. Once we debated for an hour whether marshmallows or swivel chairs were better.

"Like at our wedding!" he said in exasperation, but the next moment he seemed to realise what he had said, because his cheeks flushed and "Or when a meteor hits my parents' house" he added quickly, almost as if what he had said before it was another unlikely bullshit. And I no longer understood anything. Was he seriously talking about our future marriage? Had he ever really thought about it? To then come back to ask me once again the other question that I hadn't yet had an answer to. Did he really want to tell me I love you the other day? I would probably never get an answer.