Trinkets

*ALLYSSA*

It's been two weeks since me and William returned from the Maldives and I was already missing it, we had spent days exploring the beautiful country together and nights in passionate sex and endless soul binding conversations. And now I was doing rounds in an empty ER at midnight counting the minutes to go home and relax.

"I finally understand why they call this place the morgue," Lisa says and she sighs into the seat next to me.

"I'd much rather have an empty ER than a full one," I reply as I take a sip of tea letting the liquid warm me up, it was heavily raining outside. I do two more rounds making the patients that are they're okay and in stable condition before going to the locker room to get my bag.

The gentle vibration of my phone sends a spark of excitement through me, and as I fish it out of my bag, I see William's name light up the screen, bringing an instinctive smile to my face.

"I've gone ahead and asked Brian to make reservations for tomorrow night at that new restaurant you've been eager to try," his text reads.

"And you expect me to join you?"

"Correct," comes his immediate response.

"Oh? Such confidence, my love. You'll need to ask more sweetly."

A moment's pause, then, "Darling, would you honor me with your company tomorrow evening? Please."

My grin widens. "I don't know. I might need some more convincing..."

"Perhaps this morning could sway your mind?" he suggests.

"Are you trying to seduce me into saying yes, Mr. Henderson?" I type, my pulse quickening at the thought.

"Is it working, Mrs. Henderson?"

"You might need to try a little harder than that," I tease.

"Then perhaps you should hurry home, so I can employ a more persuasive approach," he replies, his words tinged with promise.

I'm already at the door. "Leaving now ;)"

"Good girl," he texts back.

As I sign out, someone calls out my name, and I stop in my tracks, turning around to find Eric, one of the radiologists, walking up to me with a warm smile. He doesn't engage in conversation often, but when he does talk, it's always delightful. He's funny.

I've had my fill of work, all I want is to go home to my husband.

"Hi, I've wanted to talk to you all day, but I've been busy," he says, trying to fix his ruffled blonde hair.

"That's alright," I reply with a smile.

"I, um, saw something yesterday while I was out. It was a necklace and a matching bracelet in this small shop, and for some reason, they reminded me of you. So, uh, I bought them because I didn't manage to get you a birthday gift," I say, trying to sound appreciative as he reveals a small necklace adorned with small pearls and green sapphire. The bracelet has a similar design.

Aww...How thoughtful and sweet.

"Eric, you really didn't have to do that," I mumble. His cheeks flush a bright shade of pink. I attempt to put on the necklace, but it becomes a hassle since the one William gave me is in the way. In the end, I awkwardly wear Eric's necklace on top of the other one. Wearing scrubs does make it a tad bit easier.