Opportunities

*ALLYSSA*

"Boo!" I exclaimed, my voice echoing through the empty hallways of the hospital. Dr Elizabeth, engrossed in her work at the front desk, jolted in surprise. Her hands instinctively flew to her chest as she let out a high-pitched shriek. The sudden fright seemed to freeze her in place for a moment before turning around.

Her expression became stern, unimpressed to say the least. "I don't find you funny, custard," she deadpanned, her voice laced with a hint of annoyance.

"You're such a buzzkill," I remarked. Suddenly, she swiftly pinched the side of my stomach, catching me off guard. I winced in pain and my eyes widened, emphasizing my outrage, and looked at her in disbelief.

"RUDE!" I exclaimed, rubbing the spot where she pinched me. She smirked in response, clearly enjoying the reaction she had provoked.

Before I could retaliate again, one of the doctors approached me, notifying me of a meeting with Dr Ross in his office. An idea sparked in my mind, and a grin spread across my face.

"I'm telling your husband about this."

"Like he'll believe you over me, custard," she retorted, smirking and turning back to the front desk.

It had been two weeks since James was found dead in his apartment, a victim of a failed robbery. When I heard the news through the media, I didn't feel anything.

No tears, no happiness, just emptiness. I wanted to mourn the loss of someone I once loved more than anything, regardless of the complicated relationship we once had. But no matter how hard I tried I couldn't and wouldn't.

Entering Dr Ross's office, he wasn't seated, so I took the liberty of making myself comfortable in his chair. I resisted the urge to put my feet up on his desk, I wasn't in the mood for a scolding.

"Your wife just pinched me," I said dramatically, emphasizing the absurdity of the situation. "And not just any pinch, it was an aggressively mean pinch."

Dr Ross raised an eyebrow, a mixture of amusement and scepticism on his face. "What did you do to her?"

"Seriously, Ross, it was an unprovoked attack and I fear for the safety of all innocent bystanders." I continued, my voice filled with mock concern. "I'd like to file a complaint against her."

Dr Ross leaned against the wall, a smile playing at the corners of his lips.

"Custard, if I know my wife, I'm sure there's a perfectly reasonable explanation for her pinching you," he said, trying to suppress his laughter.

Putting on my best innocent face. "She didn't have a reason, she just attacked me out of the blue."

Dr Ross sighed and walked over to the coffee table, picking up a stack of papers and placing them in front of me.

"I still don't believe you. Now, I wanted to let you know that our hospital has been offered a spot in a prestigious research project for Alzheimer's cure. Researchers from all over the world will be coming in and out, sharing their research and collaborating on finding a breakthrough."

Unsure where this was going, I sat up and nodded, my curiosity piqued. "Okay."

"Three years ago, I had the opportunity to read some of your work on Alzheimer's, and I was blown away by it. I kept it, and a few weeks ago, when this project started, I revisited your work and was even more impressed. I'd like for you to go on my behalf. "

"I don't know," I hesitated, my voice tinged with doubt.

Dr Ross smiled reassuringly, his gaze filled with unwavering belief. "Allyssa my dear, you've always had a natural aptitude for research, and I have full confidence in your abilities that are being wasted. You won't be alone in this; I'll be there every step of the way, guiding and supporting you. Take your time to make up your mind and let me know."