Dinner Party

*ALLYSSA*

I had no idea what Nicole meant by "small," but this gathering was anything but that. There were at least a hundred people here, and I didn't know a single one of them. It had been an hour since we arrived, and I hadn't let go of William's arm since we walked in.

Apart from Mr and Mrs Scott, Mr and Mrs Knight, Noah, Christian, Alessio, and Alex, I didn't know anyone in the room. I did recognize the many political figures and business tycoons as well as some celebrities, most of which were Scott Diamond Ambassadors.

My worst nightmare suddenly became a reality when Julius and Nicole pulled William and me in different directions. My heart sank as I watched five people surround him, creating a barrier between us.

"Allyssa dear, this is Benedict Harper," Nicole introduced, and I instantly froze at the mention of that name. A chill ran down my spine, and my eyes darted around the room, desperately searching for William, but he was nowhere to be seen.

"Allyssa dear," Nicole's hand on my back brought my attention back to the present. Standing right in front of me was my father, his hair greying, dressed in a tux, and wearing an innocent smile.

"This is Benedict Harper. He's about to be appointed as the Secretary-General of the United Nations," Nicole continued, introducing me to my father. I doubted she knew that we knew each other.

He stepped closer and kissed my cheek, his touch and familiar scent evoking a rush of distress within me. My heart started to palpitate, but I managed to compose myself.

"Hello, Allyssa," My father greeted, his voice filled with an air of formality.

"Nicole was just telling me about your recent work with Alzheimer's, and I must say, I'm impressed. I would love to hear more about it."

" She's brilliant, and I can't wait to witness the groundbreaking discoveries she's about to make, "Nicole interjected, looking at me with admiration before engulfing me in a hug. Helen joined us, her gaze fixed on my father, who hadn't taken his eyes off me.

"Nicole, il faut rencontrer la femme du maire." Helen says and Nicole turns to us.

"I'll let the two of you discuss, and I'll be back briefly," Nicole says with a sweet smile before disappearing into the crowd with Helen. I'm left alone with him, a wave of dread washes over me, like a dark cloud consuming my every thought.

Oh God

He turns to me, his gaze filled with a menacing glint, and suggests we find somewhere private to talk. Reluctantly, I follow to the giant piano room, my heart pounding in my chest, knowing that facing him alone may not be the best idea. If I was to scream it would be difficult to hear because of the loud jazz music playing where the guest are.

"Don't you have anything to say?"

Go fuck yourself?

"I have nothing to say to you," I manage to utter, my voice confident, as I cross my arms, trying to shield myself from his malevolence. But he's not one to be easily deterred. He reaches out and grabs my arm with a force that sends chills down my spine, his grip like a vice that holds me in his control.

"Too bad, sweetheart. I do have something to say," he hisses, his words dripping with venom, as I feel my resolve waver. I attempt to pull away, to escape his clutches, but his grip tightens, digging into my flesh.

The memories of the past flood my mind, each one a haunting reminder of the torment he inflicted on my mother and me. The pain, the fear, the helplessness—they all resurface, threatening to consume me once again.