- 18: All I Wanna Do Now -

It's been three weeks and overall, everything is ok. 

He doesn't see much of Bakugou anymore, just like he wanted. 

But it's also not like he's had much time to think about anything other than school and Ishida. The day everything went down, he had begged to know what had happened, and Izuku told him. 

But, as always, when Izuku thinks he's going to be grateful, he is met with something like disappointment. 

"Izu, I thought i told you not to do anything about it." 

Was his response. 

Izuku isn't bothered by it much anymore, it's just the way Ishida is. He is getting slightly worse, but it's nothing Izuku can't handle. His digs at him are getting less and less sugarcoated, turning to full blown insults with laughter after them.

Izuku had lost count of how many times he heard the phrase, 'It's just a joke' coming out of Ishida's mouth. 

He had tried to hide all of this from his mom, since she never really liked Ishida anyway. It would just bother her and make a big deal out of something so small. 

But he had a sinking feeling that she would hear what Ishida was saying, because when they would see her, she always gave Ishida a look when he tried to warmly greet her. He already got used to the treatment. 

It's not like he's doing anything bad, he's probably just worried about Izuku like a good friend. It gets annoying sometimes (God forbid Ishida ever hearing annoying and his name in the same sentence, Izuku can only imagine) but he's fine with it. 

-

Izuku is at the store with his mom after school, looking through the isles as inko pushes the cart, stopping every now and then to get something on the shopping list. The speakers play some song Izuku has never heard before, but the tune is joyful.  

He had put his phone on silent the night before and had forgotten about it, and he hadn't picked it up since. It was nice, just walking around and talking to his mom about random things. 

After they get all the things they need, the both of them were waiting in line. There are five people ahead of them, the cashier ringing them up with a blank look on his face. 

Izuku takes out his phone to pass some of the time, only to see a flood of texts and calls in his notification bar. 

All with the same caller I.D 

'Where are you?' 

'Why aren't you at your house?' 

'Izuku, answer the phone.' 

'Are you ignoring me?' 

'I have your location, never mind.' 

'The least you could do is answer.' 

'Your just shopping right?' 

'Answer please.' 

'I know you have your phone on you dude, answer.' 

These messages were followed with a number of calls in between all of them, and Izuku feels a heavy weight settle its way onto his shoulders. 

Inko stops looking at the small selection of chocolate bars and candies to look at him. She peaks over his shoulder and her lips push down in a frown.

"Izuku, why is he texting you so much?" 

He jolts, his shoulders tensing as he turns his phone off and slides it back into his pocket in one quick motion. He looks back at her, a small smile on his face. 

"He's just worried." 

He wants to cringe at how unrelaxed he sounds and inko seems like she wants to as well, because her eyebrows furrow slightly and she stares at him.

The buzzing of the store seems to fade slightly, but Izuku manages to avoid her piercing stare as he pushes the cart further up the line. 

They finish up in silence, Izuku carrying all of the bags as they walk to the car in the parking lot. He puts the grocery bags in the car and gets in the front seat himself, putting his seatbelt on. 

Inko sits in the driver's seat and does not move for a while. Izuku awkwardly glances at her then away. 

"Are... Are you going-" 

"Izuku." 

The tone in her voice makes Izuku even more tense and he focuses on the dashboard in front of him. 

"Yeah?" 

He hates how meek and guilty he sounds. He looks at her, but she's not looking at him, her hands tightly on the wheel.

"That boy..." 

She stays silent for a moment, and Izuku lets her get her thoughts together. She takes a deep breath and lets it out slowly. 

"When me and your father were... together, it was just me and my mother in this small house, since my father was always away on work. Then, when your father came along, i was..." 

Izuku looks at her, his eyes wide. She never talked about his dad, since he had run out on them when Izuku was found out to be quirkless. Just like someone else he knows. 

"I wasn't in a very good headspace. He was very caring and sweet at the start, and sometimes he would turn... mean. But i never thought anything of it because i loved him. Even when he would say disgusting things to me, i forgave him and..." 

Inko finally looks at him, her big green eyes full of unshed tears. 

"I just-" 

Her voice breaks and she reaches out to hold Izuku's hand in her own. 

"I just wish i had someone to tell me how wrong being with him was. My sweet Izuku... You are surrounded by people who want to hurt you because... Because life isn't fair. But i want you to know that i will always, always be here for you. And if something happens, anything at all, i will be in your corner to cheer you on. I-" 

Izuku feels his eyes fill with tears and he holds her hand just as tightly as she is holding his. 

"I love you so much Izuku." 

Izuku sniffs and uses his other hand to cup her cheek, wiping some of her tears away. 

"I love you too mom." 

She smiles softly at him and lets go of his hand. She takes another deep breath and turns the engine. 

"Now lets go home."