- 36: I Was Scratchin Off The 30s -

Izuku and kacchan go to hiking, to the aquarium, the fair, the bookstore, even studying together for a while. It's been a couple of weeks since they have been hanging out a lot more, and Izuku couldn't be happier.

Though he still makes time for Ishida, because even with all the things with kacchan happening, Ishida is still his best friend. He is lost in thought as he stares at the recipe written on a piece of paper. 

His mom had written it out for him before she left for work, with a little 'good luck Izuku! You got this!' written on the bottom corner. As he stares at the recipe, he's starting to believe that isn't true.

He's trying to make kacchans favorite spice cookies. At first, he thought it wouldn't be that bad since his mom made it look so easy, but that thought was clearly killed when it was finally time to start. 

He had paid for all the ingredients, and he has failed at least five times. Each time, he's left with burnt, misshapen cookies that look nothing like the explosion cookie shapes that the cookie cutter made when he laid the dough out on the pan. 

He sighs, defeated as he holds his head in his hands as he leans over the counter. There is a knock and the sound of the doorbell, and he sluggishly goes over to the front door. His apron is covered in dried cookie dough, and he thinks some of it got in his hair despite him putting it up as best he could. 

He opens the door and meets Ishida's red eyes. He smiles, taking in Izuku's appearance. 

"Hey Izu, what are you up to?" 

He sniffs and peeks inside from the door and Izuku steps aside to let him in. He takes off his shoes and his brows furrow as he looks back at him. 

"It smells like something is burning, everything ok Izu?" 

Izuku gives him a nervous smile, laughing slightly as they both go to the kitchen. 

"Yeah well, I'm trying to make cookies but..." 

He looks at the mess that is the kitchen and grimaces. 

"It's not going so well...." 

He wanted to do something nice for kacchan, but he sucks in the kitchen. It's no surprise he can't do it right, but that doesn't mean he's going to just give up! 

Ishida looks at the kitchen, hands on his hips. He whistles, then looks at Izuku. 

"You know your useless in the kitchen Izu, why didn't you just call me for help?" 

He decides to ignore the 'useless' comment. 

"I didn't wanna bother anyone," 

The real reason he didn't call anyone to help is because he was supposed to do this by himself, and it's not like it's a real emergency that he can't bake for the life of him. 

Also, because Ishida would probably lose his fucking shit if he told him he was making these cookies for kacchan. 

"I can do it myself Ishida Kun, you don't have to-" 

Ishida is already ignoring him, pushing up his sleeves and looking at the recipe. 

"I'm already here, might as well help you out since you need it so much!" 

Ishida smiles brightly and Izuku gives in. The two of them work together. Izuku is making the batter when Ishida speaks again. 

"So, we haven't been hanging out together as much lately. You barely talk to me at school, so where are you at." 

He doesn't look at him, focusing on the mixing bowl. Since him and kacchan had gotten closer, they have been hanging out together at school sometimes. They haven't told anyone else yet, but he doubts they ever will. 

"Nowhere, just... studying." 

"Every day?" 

"Well, yeah. You know my mom she's... very passionate when it comes to my education?" 

He hates that it comes out as more as a question then a statement and he wants to turn away. He can practically hear Ishida's disbelief even though he hasn't said anything yet. He puts the bowl down and looks at Ishida full on. 

The black-haired boy has his arms folded on the counter, red eyes watching Izuku closely. He looks down, feeling sort of guilty. 

"I'm... Sorry. You must have felt bad with me being gone for so long, i promise it's not a forever kind of thing, I've just been... busy." 

Ishida takes the batter from him and starts to flatten it in order to use the cookie cutters to cut out the cookies. He's silent for a while, Izuku fidgeting slightly and watching him. 

"Busy." 

He puts the cookies into the oven and shuts it. 

"Thats what i said." 

Ishida turns to him and sits on the counter, his legs swinging slightly. He takes a deep breath and gives Izuku a smile. 

"It's ok, i understand! But even ill start to get lonely if you leave me alone for so long Izu, so try to spend more time with your best friend hm? Let's not forget you kept you company when you were Bakugo's punching bag." 

his eyes widen and he nods. 

"Right." 

Ishida smiles, laughing slightly. 

"I mean, not even you're that dumb. Like you would ever abandon someone who was so good to you, who gave you anything and everything you could have asked for without any questions asked. You haven't even repaid me yet, but I'm still here." 

It feels like he's just talking aloud to himself, but it still stings. He feels even more guilt and he looks away from him, biting his bottom lip slightly as his smile falls. 

"You're a good friend, right Izu? So, i know you'll always come running back to me, no matter what happens! Don't worry about these couple of weeks, I'm willing to forgive and forget if you just continue to be as grateful and obedient as you've always been." 

Ishida gets off of the counter and pats his shoulder, that smile still on his face. 

"Let's watch something while the cookies are baking." 

He doesn't do anything but nod.