|| 13-Akaashi K. ||

|| Blue ||
.
.
.
.

  You have this good friend.

  He's like the mum friend, but he isn't the kind that is kind and caring all the time, no.

  He was the kind of mum friend that would pull into the Macca's drive-thru and order a coffee while the kids sit in the back eager for the food that'll never come.

  There's just one thing you've never quite understood about him, was his eyes.

  Everyday they seem to be a kaleidoscope of colours, and you've never been close enough to see their actual colour.

  The other thing, is the fact that you've had a crush on this guy since second year at junior high.

  He doesn't know this, thankfully.

  But the loud mouth third year he's friends with does.

  So here you are, currently paying your debt you owe the ace for not saying anything to the setter.

  "My jaw hurts, how much longer do I have to do this, Bokuto?" You complain, rubbing your jaw as he looks down at you with a smirk.

  "Not yet! A little longer than you can stop." He says, winking at you as you roll your eyes and look away from him.

  You ignore the ache in your jaw as you keep chewing the giant wad of gum Bokuto told you to chew so he could time you and see if you finished before or after his time.

  Your debt was just doing stupid things for the older boy, and he wouldn't tell Akaashi that you're secretly in love with him.

  Today is gum chewing, yesterday was colour-coding his socks, and apparently in a few days you have to go with him and Akaashi to see a couple friends of theirs in Tokyo and be his slave and carry his stuff.

  "Oh, hello. What are you doing here?" You both spin to see Akaashi looking at you two in the kids jungle gym at the park down a few streets from yours.

  "We're timing how long it takes for (L/n) to chew this gum ball before the flavour leaves!" Bokuto answers, you sigh, nodding with him as Akaashi looks at the grocery bags in his hands before cutting off the concrete walk path and moving to stand below you two on the jungle gym.

  "Could I sit with you?"

  "Of course! Come! Come!" Bokuto jumps excitedly, Akaashi sits his bag down and climbs up the ropes until he's seated beside Bokuto a level higher than you.

  "I never took you for one to indulge in Bokuto's ridiculous activities." Akaashi mumbles, looking at you, you shrug, mouth full, and he smiles at you.

  Holy shit, don't do that, I'll choke!

  "She's strange like that, everyone has their own secrets." Bokuto says, Akaashi not picking up on the teasing under tone in Bokuto's voice.

  You do, though, and you glare at Bokuto as he grins mischievously at you.

  Once the gum was done, you and Bokuto begin bouncing around like kids on the ropes, Akaashi silently watching like a parent from one of the lower levels.

  You're totally not expecting Bokuto to jump from one to another, so the waves knock you off balance, and you fall down through the ropes.

  You land with a thwak on the ground, and Bokuto cackles while Akaashi jumps down to check on you.

  You groan, rolling onto your side and rubbing the back of your head. "Ow, damn Bokuto." You murmur, he continues to laugh at you, but climbs off and kneels beside you, Akaashi crouching on your other side.

  "You good?" Bokuto cackles, wiping tears from his eyes, you grab a handfull of the woodchips and throw them at him, sighing.

  He just laughs, getting onto his feet. You close your eyes, sitting up and rubbing the back of your head while Bokuto dusts the woodchips from your back and hair.

  Wait–

  You open your eyes, spinning to see Akaashi dusting you off—your cheeks flushing—and you look away, only to then turn back and stare in awe at his eyes.

  Wow, his eyes are so pretty.

  "Are you okay?" Akaashi asks, voice soft and quiet, and you blink, dazed by him.

  "You have very pretty eyes." You murmur, staring into the blue abyss.

  Oh damn, his eyes are blue??

  "Thank you, but are you okay?" Akaashi repeats, you shake your head, blinking away the cobwebs in your brain, and you flush bright red when you realise what you'd been doing.

  "Uh, um, yeah I'm–I'm great! But, uh, I have to go, see you at school!" You shout, flustered, you quickly get to your feet, waving casually as you make a run for you house.

  «I wonder what's wrong?

  The next day, you walk into school, Bokuto and Akaashi already in the gym, and you rush to your classroom to tell your friend what colour Akaashi's eyes really are.

  When you get there, there's a small rose on your desk, with a piece of paper attached to it, you frown, grabbing the paper and sniffing the rose.

  It's real...

  You read the paper, sighing as you realise that you've done so many things for Bokuto for nothing.

  The note reads:

Dear (L/n),
Bokuto told me everything after you left, and I'm happy to know why you act strange around me. I hope this rose reaches you, and that it shows my reciprocation to your feelings—I would like it if you joined me this afternoon for boba at a cafe near here?
Sincerely, Akaashi

  Yes, yes, a million times yes!

  You pocket the note, grabbing the rose and rushing to the gyms where the volleyball boys are standing around—clearly waiting for Bokuto to finish in the bathroom so they can lock up.

  You find Akaashi, running up to him and wrapping your arms around his middle. It takes him a second, before he wraps his arms around you in return.

  "You got my rose, I see." He smiles, and your heart stumbles in your chest.

  You grin at him, ignoring Bokuto shouting in the background as you bury your face in his abdomen.

——
1019 words