|| 24-Oikawa T. ||

|| Homework ||
.
.
.
.
(Soulmate AU where only you and your soulmate can see the red string on your pinkies once you touch)

  "That look does not suit you."

  Oikawa jumps, startled by the deep, gruff voice of the Ace player beside him.

  "Awh, sorry. It's just that, I've met so many girls, I've dated a few too, but not once has a red string appeared on my finger." Oikawa pouts, flexing his fingers before bringing his hand up to rub at his face.

  Iwaizumi shrugs, slumping down into the desk chair beside the captain and drumming his fingers on the table top.

  "I don't know man, maybe you just don't have a soulmate—it is a rare phenomenon, none of the team has one."

  "Yet." Oikawa interjects, frowning again.

  "Maybe never, who knows."

  "You sound like you don't want a soulmate." Oikawa pushes his concern back as he watches his best friend twist the rings in his fingers. "And everyone wants a soulmate."

  Iwaizumi shrugs. "There just seems to be a whole lot of pressure on this whole find your soulmate thing—and the people that don't have one always get looked down upon."

  Oikawa switches his expressions, not liking the way his friends mood dips. "Okay, well, how about if we don't have a soulmate by twenty—"

  "I'm not marrying you, being your friend is hard enough." Iwaizumi butts in, glaring.

  Oikawa gasps, hand on his chest. "I wasn't going to say that, I was going to say we set each other up, but now I don't think anyone is good enough for you!"

  Even though it was clearly a joke, hurt flashes across Iwaizumi's face, which he downplays as he rocks back on the chair and cradles his head in his hands.

  "And no one should have to put up with you. Period."

  Their banter continues, the otherwise empty classroom as comforting to them as the team they are okay with.

  What they didn't account for, was the two girls sprinting down the hall towards the classroom in hopes that the teacher hadn't taken their homework workbooks to the office yet.

  You and your sister had not been paying attention earlier when you left the classroom, in a hurry to get to the canteen before the nuggets were cold.

  Your sister shoulders the door open, tumbling in and creating a motion as he ends up laying on the floor with a chair on her.

  You nearly trip over her, jumping and hurting for the desk you had sat in, completely dismissing the two watching with wide eyes a few desks away.

  "Look under Ebony's desk! Didn't you give her the book?" Your sister calls, you perk up, rushing to the desk beside yours and shuffling underneath for the book.

  "Um, excuse me?"

  You both jump, spinning to see the two men staring at you, brown eyes wide. You instantly recognise them from the volleyball team, then wonder why they weren't out with the others as the situation tumbles down on you.

  "Hi, Oikawa, right?" Your sister asks, the taller one stands, shaking her hand as the other one stands as well. "Um, did either of you spot a note book in here? It's important."

  You move from Ebony's desk down to teachers, shuffling through the papers.

  "Yeah, I saw a blue notebook." Oikawa says, Ponting to the tubs at the back of the room where he must have put it. Your sister runs to the tubs, digging up the book and slumping down in a sigh of relief.

  You sink into the teacher's chair, sweat beaded in your forehead as the stress ebbs away.

  Gods, your parents would have murdered you both if you had come home without your homework workbook.

  "Thank you so much." You breath, Oikawa steps forwards, Iwaizumi moves to help your sister up, and you catch the taller boy's hand out for you to shake.

  Sighing, you shake his hand, eyes closed, only for them to snap open at your sister's gasp.

  You take your hand back, not noticing the red string dangling from your pinky connecting you to Oikawa as your sister and Iwaizumi stare into each other's eyes, hands up as what happened shoots through everyone in the room.

   "You're my soulmate."

  You expected the words to come from Iwaizumi's mouth, but you didn't expect Oikawa to mirror his best friend, his own pale hand up where you see the red string attached to his finger—coiling around you both and tied to your pinky.

  "Oh, shit." You breath, at the same time your sister squeals, and you both turn away from your soulmates to face each other, shock moving you into motion as you hug her.

  I mean, what else are you meant to do if you and your sister find your soulmate's at the same time?

  This is so unreal.

  Oikawa steps up, placing his hand on your lower back, you turn to him, brushing past the fact that your sister had run and literally leaped into Iwaizumi's arms.

  "I'm sure you know who I am, but I wanted to introduce myself to you anyway." Oikawa removes his hand from your back, and instead holds it out for another hand shake.

  You take it, smiling.

  "Hi, my name's Oikawa Tooru, what's yours?"

  "(Y/n) (L/n). It's a pleasure." He took his hand back, wrapping both arms around you and bringing you in for a hug, burying his face into your neck.

  The feeling of completion fills you, your stomach light, your heart beating steady, calm, and you wrap your arms around him.

  Content.

  You felt content in this stranger's arms.

  And yet you didn't want to push him away, you felt compelled to tug him closer, his sigh of joy and happiness vibrating through you.

  You were so happy, you failed to notice the shutter of a camera from the doorway, or the crowding army of girls about to rain on your parade.

——
994 words
(A/n idea from @LynxDoesntSimp, I apologize for the really long wait I'm dealing with a little family issue but I'll try to put out more in the future!)
(Not proofread)