|| 30-Ennoshita C. ||

|| Headphones ||
.
.
.
.
(Soulmate AU where whatever song your soulmate is listening too, you hear it as well)

  "He needs a lesson in music—his taste is shit." Your best friend throws his bag down on your bed as you laugh, he groans and falls back onto your desk chair.

  The song "Milk of the Siren" by Melanie Martinez begins playing in your head, and you nod in approval.

  "Like, who the fuck listens to baby shark any more? Is he five?!"

  "Maybe," you tease, winking as he flips you the finger. "Look, mum said that once we got home we have to change and then go get...things."

  It takes him a second to remove his arm from his face, but when he does he gives you the sassiest deadpan glare you've seen.

  "You don't know what we're getting, do you."

  "Uhhh, yeah, yeah I totally do...on a completely unrelated note, have you seen my phone anywhere? I was supposed to...post my nudes." You cringe, you were and still aren't the best liar.

  He rolls his eyes, but points to your bag before getting up and reaching to pull his stay over clothes from your wardrobe.

  While you wait for your mum's reply, you change into other clothes—your friend in the bathroom changing as well.

  A dull buzz reminds you, and you check to see the small list your mum sent through.

  "The shop closes soon! Hurry up!"

  Fifteen minutes later, you're grabbing a basket from the front of the small corner store and walking into the welcome air-conditioning.

  "He's listening to Halley's Comet, thank the goddess herself." He sighs, you grin, shaking your head as the song "EVIL" plays.

  You circle the aisles, grabbing what you need, and maybe more, as your best friend complains about everything under the sun.

  If he was a girl, you'd have thought he was on his cycle.

  "Do you want—"

  "Yes."

  You blink, pausing. "I-I didn't ask yet."

  "The candy aisle is coming up, and you were going to ask if I wanted caramel popcorn. My answer is yes."

  You raise your eyebrows, nodding slowly as you make fast for the popcorn.

  What you didn't expect, was to crash into someone as you round the corner, and for their contents to spill with your cart as you both fold on impact.

  During the commotion, their headphones disconnect from their phone, and Melanie's song plays out loud.

  The song that was just in your head—is still in your head—is now playing from this person's phone.

  "Ah, I'm so sorry." He says, getting up and helping you up, his hand on your elbows, electric shocks shooting through you at the first touch. His eyes widen in surprise, and you both stare at each other, open mouthed.

  "Coincidence, I think not."

  "Huh?" He asks, you burn red when you realise you said that out loud.

  "I-you-we-....Melanie?" You don't bother embarrassing yourself further with stupid word jumble, and just go for the point.

  "Yeah...yeah." He reaches down and picks up his phone, also connecting his headphones; you reach out to hold his forearm.

  "I...I'm sorry, this is so very bold, but I need you to scroll randomly and pick a song, put your headphones on, and I'll guess it."

  He understands what you mean, nodding and putting his headphones on before scrolling and clicking.

  "Yummy, by Ayesha Erotica."

  His eyes widen, and you know before he even says anything that you had got it right.

  "So that makes you my..." He trails off, and you only now realise how dark and pretty this man's eyes are.

  "Hi, I'm (Y/n)." You breathe, he fumbles with his hands before he frees one and holds it out to shake.

  "Ennoshita. It's a pleasure."

  "You too..." You stare at each other awkwardly until you hear a clearing of the throat behind you, and turn to see your best friend leaning against the aisle, eating the popcorn already.

  He wriggles his eyebrows at you when he notices you stare. "You got a cutie."

  You flush, now realising how horrible it is to have your best friend here while you meet your soulmate.

  He could ruin everything.

  "Um, I'm sorry, but we have to go!" You glare at him before turning back to Ennoshita.

  Your soulmate nods, helping you with your basket one more time before waving and disappearing.

  A little disappointment fills you as he leaves, but you surge on, ignore the little comments your friend makes—especially as the song "Highschool sweetheart" plays.

  At home, you rant to your mum while your friend raids your fridge, and as you are just about done, he comes down with a can of apricot nectar—one if the things you had to get today.

  "But yeah, I don't think I'll ever see him again unless I live at that place." You sigh, raising an eyebrow as he hands you to tin, and you take it.

  "Thanks?"

  Your mum watches as he flips it around, still in your hands, and points to the paper you had mistaken for wrapping while unloading the dishes.

  You grab the paper, eyes widening as you read the contents.

  "What is it?" Your mum asks, sipping her coffee as if she already knows.

  "A number...his number."

——
891 words
(A/n sorry it's short and not proofread)