|| 38-Kita S. ||

|| Seeds ||
.
.
.
.
(They are 18)

  "I know, mum, but I'll be fine." You pull the phone away to sigh, putting it back to hear your mum still talking about security for your apartment.

  You had just moved in, the first time you'll be living alone.

  Or so you thought.

  Being paid what you are, you had to get a roommate, and not having a choice, you were rundown on his name, age, and how long he'll be here by the manager not that long ago.

  And you're currently standing in front of the door of the apartment, struggling to find your keys while also soothing your mother's worries.

  Once you find it, you pull the phone away from your ear, make a few crackle noises and hang up.

  Just like that.

  You hesitate at the door, not sure whether to knock or to just walk in.

  Does he know you're here? Does he know he has a roommate? Does he know about you?

  Finally, you just knock.

  It takes a second, but the sound of a chain clicking tells you that even if you tried to just walk in, you'd fail AND be embarrassed.

  "Hello?" A man with grey and black hair opens the door, his eyes flat lining as he takes you in—from your meh shirt to your three boxes. "Oh, come in."

  He opens the door wider, and you step in, respectively taking your shoes off and grabbing the boxes with you.

  Once you cleared the doorway, he shouts the door, and you stop to shake his hand.

  "It's nice to meet you, I'm your new roommate (Y/n) (L/n)."

  "I'm Kita Shinsuke."

  You both stand there in the awkward silence, until he shuffles and finally speaks. "Would you like help with your boxes?"

  You look at the three hefty things, and the first thought you had was:

  I don't need no help from no man!

  But then, you took notice of his polished floors, and nodded. "Yes, thank you."

  He nods, reaching down and lifting two with ease, waiting for you to lift the last one and then leading you through the apartment to your room.

  After setting your boxes on the floor beside the fold out bed, he offers a tour, to which you agreed too, while also ignoring the noise your phone makes with all of your mother's notifications.

  After the tour, you catch sight of the fire escape, and the two small, but pretty, pots out there on the rails.

  "What are you growing?" You ask, stepping closer to what better look; Kita appears by your side, silent as a cat, and points to each of the pots.

  "One holds flowers, the other holds herbs—there is another hidden, that one has sunflowers in it." He informs you.

  You "awh" and try to spot the third pot, but Kita shakes his head. "The pot is in the lobby getting the correct sunlight before I can deseed it tonight."

  "Oh, wow, what do you do with the seeds?"

  "I eat them, or sell them, or I make bread and give it to Mr. Terrance, he's the elderly man next door."

  Huh, good for Kita...

  "And the herbs?" You ask, following him as he makes his way into the kitchen.

  You haven't known him long, but he seems like a cool guy; like someone you would get along with.

  Which is great considering you two will be living together.

  "I dry them, cook with them." He says, you finally take notice of the drying rack setting beside the sink, and the leaves already on it.

  "Wow, you are really cool; and creative!" He nods his thanks, lifting a mug in silent question. "Oh, yes please. Two sugars."

  He nods.

  He seems to do that a lot.

  You lean against the counter opposite him, watching as he checks the herbs, then puts the kettle on and preps your guy's tea.

  "What brings you here?" He asks, you glance around, not sure if he's talking to you or if he answered a call you didn't notice.

  When he glances back at you, you realise he was talking to you, and you quickly compose yourself.

  "I just...needed to stand on my own two feet, which is ironic because I can't even make enough for rent meaning I'm still downing on someone." You sigh, covering your face with your hands and pressing your palms into your eyes.

  Kita stays silent, the only noise is the boiling water, until he flicks it off and pour the tea.

  "Why are you here?" You ask him, taking your hands down and resting back on the counter again.

  Kita shrugs. "I needed a house, so I got one. I used to live with my grandma, until she passed, and I was left homeless."

  "Oh, I'm so sorry to hear that. Where were your-?" He cuts you off by handing you your tea, his eyes telling you not to push, so you don't.

  "Well, I guess it'll be nice to not be completely alone." You say, following him as he walks into the living room.

  You take the seat beside his, and he hums. "I do apologise, for the future."

  You sip the tea, setting your cup down and raising an eyebrow. "Why? Do you snore? That's all good, I usually sleep with earplugs in any way."

  He shakes his head. "No, I play in a volleyball team at school, and when they find out you are my roommate, they will pester both of us severally."

  You take him in, then his words, and you frown. "What, what's wrong with me? What's so bad about having me as your roommate?"

  "No, you took that the wrong way. You're a pretty girl, living with me for however long, the team will jump to conclusions and make a big deal over nothing." He sets his cup down, waving his hands carefully in his defence.

  He thinks I'm pretty??

  You shake your head slightly, fixing yourself. "Oh, okay. Well, it's nothing I haven't dealt with before, once they get it, they won't bother me again."

  He looks you over, then pulls that face like "huh, fair enough" before grabbing his cup and sipping his tea again.

  You do the same, jumping when multiple fists hit the front door.

  What the-

  "Ah, jeez, I didn't expect them this early. Well, (Y/n), prepare yourself." Kita gives you an awkward thought smile before he gets up to open the door.

  You frown, confused, until chaos erupted through the apartment.

——
1090 words
(A/n for the lovely Bylohhhj)
(Not proof read)