|| 22-Tsukishima K. ||

|| Ego ||
.
.
.
.
(Soulmate au where your skin burns/crawls when you first touch your soulmate)

  "All unpacked?"

  You jump, spinning to see your dad standing in the doorway, his dyed hair fading, cigarette in his mouth.

  "Yeah...I didn't have much." As you speak, you both scan the room—empty, save for a bed, table, and a stuffed toy.

  A few days ago, your mother relapsed and was taken to a hospital, which then left you to move in with your estranged dad who you've only met two times.

  He's nice enough, a little distant, but he's trying; by the look on his face, you almost felt bad for suddenly popping up out of nowhere and intruding in his small two bedroom flat above his store.

  "Um, I have to go coach my volleyball team in half an hour, would you like to come?" He rubs the back of his neck, a little more than awkward at the situation.

  As weird as this all is, the sound of your childhood sport peeks your interest, and you nod without even thinking.

  Ukai smiles at the nod, hesitating at the doorway before giving you a thumbs up and scurries off.

  Oh kay...

  Looking around your room, you find your box of clothes stashed half under your bed, opening it and digging through the layers until you find your spandex shorts and an old paint-covered shirt.

  "This will do, I don't think I'll be playing—kinda like a meet and greet." You mumble, walking to close your bedroom door before you could change.

  Half an hour later, you're following Ukai through the school grounds, your head down as you type out a message, completely unaware of the outside world.

  At least, until you run into the back of your dad, head hitting his shoulder blade; he brushes it off, clearing his throat before turning to talk to you.

  Pocketing your phone, you look up to see that you were standing outside a gym—the interior dark and silent.

  "They aren't here yet, because I figured you'd want time to adjust— I wasn't going to toss you to a pack of wolves and turn a blind eye." Ukai rubs the back of his neck again, eyes flickering everywhere but you, and you try for a smile.

   "I thought they were crows." You attempt a joke, Ukai frowns, not getting it, so you quickly wave it off. "Uh, thanks. Shall we get in?"

  He doesn't say anything, turning around and opening the door wide for you both to walk in. You stay by the door, Ukai disappearing into the dark before suddenly the lights turn on—the gym completely empty save for a stray hat on a bench.

  "Who's hat?"

  Ukai turns, frowning still, before he locks eyes with the hat and grimaces. "Hinata's. They got a little rough yesterday, being boys, and uh...well, in short, don't touch that hat."

  Now all you wanted to do was touch it, but you didn't, pushing it way back to the far reaches of your memory as you move to help your dad get the gym set up.

  It was like a core memory was opened: with the net, a vision of little you smashing the volleyball over a similar one made you smile. With the balls, you nearly wept at the fun memories with your old team.

  "You okay?"

  You spin, looking at your dad as he holds a clipboard, a whiteboard now pulled up by a bench. "Y-yeah, why?"

  He waves his pen in your direction, a wince gracing his rugged features. "It looks like you were about to cry—I'm not good with crying."

  You wipe under your eyes, ignoring the moisture, before sliding your hands into your pockets, nodding. "Noted. No crying."