Chapter 21

Lorna

I can't lie, I was shocked when Yara turned up claiming to be Reece's girlfriend. I didn't know what to say, so I shook her hand and introduced myself, feeling everyone's eyes on me. I just wanted to go home, but as I walked through the dining area, my mom called me over to introduce me to everyone. She looked a little tipsy, but she was in good spirits. Both my parents work hard, so they like to let loose once in a while.

I sat down for a chat, and then my mom introduced me to Jorge. "This is Lorna, my daughter," she said, gesturing towards me. She introduced me to the man who looked around the same age as my parents, maybe a little older. His salt and pepper hair made him look a little older,He was of average height, he smiled at me as he shook my hand. He seemed nice, but then went and ruined it by saying he hoped Yara and I could become friends since she was Reece's girlfriend. Okay, so he was telling everyone now? What the fuck ..

My mom looked shocked, then playfully scolded me for not telling her. She went on about how she wanted me and Reece to be an item for years. And just when I thought it couldn't get worse, she threw in that I have a boyfriend after he wanted to set me up with his nephew and double date with Yara and Reece. "Eh, no thanks ..

I felt my patience wearing thin. I shot her a pleading look, silently begging her to stop talking. My dad thankfully noticed and told her to stop embarrassing me. He confirmed that Reece was here and asked him to come and rescue me.
He was the last person I wanted to come and save me, because he was "a big fat liar."

Reece said they were about to play a game of Twister, which made me internally laugh. Couldn't he have thought of a better excuse,,but seemed like the better option to save me before my mom decided to embarrass me even more. Seriously, she needed to slow down on that wine.

I left with Reece, and he brought me to the TV and games room. He explained the whole situation with Yara, and I remained skeptical, but he did seem genuinely surprised to see her too. So, I decided to give him the benefit of the doubt, especially after he gave me his little pout. I couldn't resist laughing at his silliness.

Of course, I called him an idiot while playfully shoving him, and he returned the favor. Then he began tickling me, causing me to burst out laughing even more,  soon we were locked in each other's gaze, the sexual tension between us palpable. I was pretty sure he was going to kiss me again, but of course, we were interrupted yet again!

Yara and the guys strolled down the stairs, Yara asking us what were we doing? Reece couldn't pull away quick enough. "Ok then!" I thought, trying to shrug it off.

In an attempt to move on, we decided to set up an air hockey tournament. It was a fun way to distract ourselves, and Yara seemed decent enough. Although, she wouldn't stop touching Reece's arm and chest in an almost possessive manner. Like she was marking her territory or something.

Feeling a migraine coming on, I headed for a glass of water. Stepping into the kitchen, I found Lance helping himself to a beer. He glanced over, gave a slight smile, and asked how I was holding up. "I'm good, thanks," I replied, catching the hint of skepticism in his sideways tilt.

Asking what I thought of Yara, I admitted that I found her to be alright. He dug further, asking if I was angry that Reece hadn't clued me in about her earlier. "Honestly, it caught me off guard," I confessed, "but Reece assured me there's nothing going on between them. Not that I'm bothered, though; he's free to date whoever."

Lance's doubt lingered. He probed deeper, wanting to know if I had any romantic feelings for Reece. "Apart from him being my best friend, no, I don't," I stated firmly.

"So, you usually kiss your best friend like you and Reece did on my dad's club rooftop?" he teased. My eyes widened, embarrassment flooding my cheeks. I instinctively covered my face, feeling utterly mortified.