Chapter 39

Lorna

Hey, sweetie. Oh, you don't look the best. Are you okay? My mom asks, placing her hand on my forehead to check for a temperature, as I sit down on the stool in the kitchen. "Hmm, you don't feel hot," she confirms, looking at me with concern.

"I'm fine, mom. I just didn't sleep too well, that's all."

"Is everything okay? Are you and Reece okay? I noticed you came home a lot earlier than you were supposed to?" Her eyes flicker back and forth, seemingly trying to catch me out.

"Yes, I fake smile, we're fine. The movie just wasn't that good, so we left early. Reece was really tired from all his training, and I wanted to catch up on some studying. With the Christmas exams coming up, I guess I'm just anxious about doing well in them, that's all."

"Oh honey, I have no doubt you will do well in those exams. Don't stress over the silly Christmas exams. You're a good student," she says, rubbing my shoulder.

"Here, let me make you some French toast. You go get yourself some coffee. It might perk you up."

"Thanks, Mom," I say, giving her a small smile, relieved that she believed my lie.

The truth is, I knew I would ace my tests. However, last night, I couldn't sleep because I couldn't stop thinking about Reece. I felt terrible for the way I reacted. I don't know what came over me.

I completely lost my temper when that stupid tramp Melissa said all those things to me. I knew he had slept with her and he had already apologized. We weren't even together at that time.

Perhaps her mentioning how popular he is with the girls in college made me realize how inexperienced I am to him. He has been with so many girls... I can't help but feel insecure.

Jealousy completely consumed me, especially when she described in detail what they had done that night. I already knew what they had done, but I didn't need to hear her bragging about it. It also brought back memories of how I was almost attacked while Reece was preoccupied with her and didn't even consider my safety.

I know he felt guilty about it and he apologized afterwards. I could sense his regret.

I shouldn't have been too quick to suggest taking a break. Of course, I don't want that. I can't even count how many times I typed out a text to him last night and then deleted them.

I wanted to tell him that I didn't mean it and that I'm sorry. But I'm stubborn, and I think it's best to let him cool off since he was quite angry when he left.

His words that we could never go back to being friends again, if we ever broke up, kept echoing in my mind all night,the thought of him not ever being in my life scared me, I barely slept thinking about it, hence my tired and puffy eyes, making me look like a zombie.

After breakfast, I went back upstairs to freshen up, I brush my teeth, did my hair and applied some concealer to hide the dark circles under my eyes. I then grabbed my bag and phone, checking it to see if I had any messages from him.

There was none,he's obviously still mad at me, or hurt,I thought about sending him one, but then remembered he'd be at his training session,so he wouldn't even see it, deciding I'd ring him later.

Mom dropped me off at school, asking me to text her if I needed a ride home today since she had the day off. I assured her that I would and said goodbye as I got out of the car.

Samia and Sarah were waiting for me at the school entrance.

"Oh, Lorna, you look like crap," Samia commented, earning a nudge from Sarah.