Chapter 27

Lorna

Trembling, I climbed into Nick's car, my heart pounding so loudly it seemed ready to burst from my chest. Guilt gnawed at me for leaving Reece behind like that, especially with the sadness that had filled his eyes when he pleaded for me not to go with Nick. It was such a stark contrast to the time he exploded at school – when he stormed outside, our gazes locking, his face a mask of pain and hurt. In that moment, I almost wanted to tell Nick to stop the car, but I couldn't let Reece see my turmoil. So, I looked away, pretending not to care.

But the truth is, I cared immensely. I wanted to lash out at Yara, to demand that whatever hold she had on Reece be relinquished – he should be with me, not her. Yet, memories of all the insults and taunts she's thrown my way flooded back, along with Reece's limited reproaches to her. He always promised to handle it, and yet there she was, repeatedly jumping into his arms, touching him, and calling him "babe." What am I supposed to do?

Aaaggghh ,My mind felt like it was screaming in frustration. Meanwhile, Nick noticed my preoccupation and asked if I was okay. I managed a forced smile, but his keen gaze revealed that my act fell short. He seemed anxious, as if he had something to confess. I could only hope that Reece's words were nothing more than an attempt to provoke me.

"Is there anywhere you'd like to go?" he asked.

"Can you please take me back to my house?" I requested, my urgency evident. "I need to change out of this outfit."

He feigned disappointment, his voice carrying a hint of nervousness despite his attempt at a compliment. "Aww, really? I was just admiring it on you. You look amazing."

His words were kind, yet I couldn't shake off the unease that had settled in after Reece's unsettling revelation. "He cheated on you," his words echoed in my mind, casting a shadow over every interaction and moment.

As soon as we arrived at my house, I practically raced up the stairs, urging Nick to make himself comfortable. "I won't be long," I assured him.

I swiftly changed into a pair of comfortable cotton shorts and an oversized hoodie, which I realized belonged to Reece.

Walking through the spacious living room, I didn't see Nick at first. "Nick, you still here?" I called out.

His voice resonated from the kitchen, and as I entered, I saw him sipping a glass of water. He had also poured one for me. "Sweet!!

Sorry, I was thirsty," he explained, gulping down the remaining water. I smiled, shaking my head. "No problem."

We both spoke at the same time, our voices overlapping in a moment of shared amusement.

He had noticed the unease in my demeanor when I first got into the car, and he inquired about it. I crafted a half-truth, explaining that Yara had managed to anger me, which wasn't entirely false. I decided against mentioning what Reece had said, hoping to hear it directly from Nick's mouth.

Despite our attempt at light conversation, the tension between us was palpable. I could sense that he had something on his mind, something he was holding back.

"Do you want tea?" I inquire as I retrieve two cups from the cupboard. Nick nods his agreement. I prepare the tea and place the cups on the counter for us. He takes my hand and draws me towards him, his body radiating tension that I can feel as soon as I'm near him. As my hand rests gently on his shoulder, I can sense the tightness in his muscles. He lets out a sigh, his forehead pressing against my shoulder.

"Nick?" I say softly, my voice filled with concern. He clings to me in silence, as if pleading for a few more moments to hold me close. His arms wrap around my waist, pulling me tightly against him. In that embrace, I can feel his need to hold me, knowing deep down that this might be the last time he can do so.