Chapter 23

Lorna's irritation grew steadily in the presence of Yara. Yara's voice grated on her nerves, her attempts at humor were received with eye rolls, and the open affection she displayed towards Reece only added fuel to Lorna's frustration.

When Yara inquired about Lorna's untouched ice cream, Lorna decided to respond with a pointed remark. She announced, without hesitation, that she had lost her appetite. The shared glance between Lorna and Reece wasn't lost on either of them, but Lorna seemed unfazed by his understanding.

Amidst the interactions, Lorna picked up on Sarah's decreasing engagement since Yara's arrival. There were subtle glances exchanged between them, hinting at an unspoken understanding that piqued Lorna's curiosity. She made a mental note to address this curiosity with Sarah later.

As the group finished their ice-cream and prepared to leave, Reece offered her a ride home. However, before she could respond, Yara interjected. She requested a ride as well, citing her cousin's need to leave for work as the reason. Lorna's annoyance flared; as she understood Yara's ulterior motive all too well.She simply conceded, telling Reece that he could give Yara a ride and she grab a lift off Sarah and Samia. Observing Yara exchange a look with Sarah, Lorna sensed a hidden meaning in that exchange—a meaning that remained elusive to her.

As she made her way towards Sarah's car, joined by Samia. She was aware of Reece's gaze on her back, but at that point, she couldn't bring herself to care. The situation had become too tangled, and she was fed up with it all. The lie Reece told about his relationship with Yara, his pretense that there was nothing between them—it was all too much to bear. She had contemplated opening up to him last night, but a harsh reality had hit her square in the face, reminding her that she had been foolish.

As she walked, thoughts raced through her mind. When had their once-simple friendship grown so complicated? It was a question that echoed within her thoughts. To add to her distress, she had endured the added torment of Yara's grating voice once again.

"Fuck it," Lorna muttered to herself. She had reached her breaking point and decided it was time to focus on herself. The tangled mess involving Reece and Yara seemed to be too much hassle for her. She contemplated the idea of giving Nick a chance, recognizing that he appeared to genuinely like her. Unlike her complicated best friend, Nick didn't seem interested in playing mind games. It was a decision born out of self-preservation and a desire for simplicity in her life.

Samia's sarcasm laced voice cut through the tension, "She seems nice..." The implication was clear; Yara was anything but nice. Lorna couldn't help but burst into laughter at the blunt honesty of Samia's statement. Sarah, though quieter, managed a small smile in response.

Concerned about Sarah's withdrawn demeanor, she gently asked, "You okay, Sarah?"

Sarah's reply came with a theatrical yawn, "Hmmm, who, me? Yeah, I'm fine, just tired."

Lorna pressed on, "Are you sure? You got pretty quiet when Little Miss Chirpy Tits showed up, annoying us all with her patronizing little voice..."

Samia chimed in again, playfully mocking, "Oh Reece,'touch, oh Reece 'touch!" Her imitation of Yara's behavior elicited giggles from Lorna and a faint frown from Sarah, who then seemed to catch herself and joined in the laughter, lightening the mood.

"Do you two know each other or something?" Samia's curiosity got the better of her, prompting her to question Sarah about the evident surprise Yara displayed upon seeing her.

A perplexed expression crossed Sarah's face as she replied, "Nope, I've never met her before. Maybe she mistook me for someone else."

Samia seemed slightly skeptical, her voice revealing her uncertainty. "Hmm, okay then, if you say so."