Chapter 46

Lorna

The doctor had just finished examining me when my mom and dad barged into the room. "Oh Lorna, thank goodness you're okay," Mom exclaimed, engulfing me in a tight hug. After pulling back, she cupped my face in her hands, concern evident in her teary eyes. "Oh God, your eye, Lorna," she uttered, her voice trembling with emotion.

"I'm okay, Mom, really," I assured her, trying to downplay the severity of the situation. "The doctor said it just needs a couple of paper stitches, it's nothing serious. I'll be fine." Despite my attempt to reassure her, deep down, I was still shaken by the incident. However, I didn't want to add to their worry; they were already overly protective as it is. If they knew how scared I truly was, they'd probably lock me indoors forever.

Are you sure honey, you're not just saying that?

She got a bit of a fright. We all did, Reece, sitting beside me, chimed in. He took my hand in his, offering a reassuring squeeze. Uncertain whether it was for his own comfort, mine, or both, I mustered a weak smile. "The doctor mentioned she might be able go home in a while once the test results are in and come back okay," he relayed to my parents.

"Tests?" Dad's voice held a note of concern as he looked at Reece, a frown forming between his eyes.

"It's standard procedure," Mom explained, casting a quick glance at Dad. "After any accident, especially if there's a head injury, they run some tests. Did they take any blood samples?" she inquired, directing her question to me.

I nodded in confirmation, and Mom gave me a small, comforting smile, though her eyes betrayed the worry she was trying to conceal, likely from the memories of the past.

"Where were you when this happened, Reece?" Dad's tone took on an accusatory edge as he turned his gaze to Reece.

Reece looked down, guilt and regret evident on his face. "I'm sorry, Mr. Devine."

"It's not his fault, Dad," I interjected, cutting Reece off. "I went to the toilet. I didn't tell him where I was going because Sarah was with me. And when I came back out, the guy just came out of nowhere," I explained, my voice trembling at the memory.

The lump in my throat returned.

Dad's anger dissipated as he came over to me, pulling me into a hug. "I know, I'm sorry, Button. I was just so scared when Rick called and told me what happened."

"Placing a tender kiss on my forehead, he asks, 'Are you hungry? Would you like me to get you something?'

'No, thanks, Dad, I'm good,' I reply.

'Okay,' he nods, 'I'll give Gina a call to let her know you're okay. Your mother was on the phone with her when Rick phoned me, so she's probably worried.'

As he prepares to leave, Mom says, 'I'll come with you. I'm going to find the doctor to check if the results are back okay. We'll be back soon.'

'Okay,' I respond softly as they both exit the room.

Reece takes my hand, his expression filled with concern. 'You okay, baby?'"

"I don't know," I tell him, my voice trembling. "I was so scared, Reece. I don't even know what he wanted. Why did he come after me? I've never done anything to him. He said he needed to warn me."

"To warn you? About what?" he asks, a frown creasing his forehead.

"I don't know. I had a panic attack and then passed out," I explain, feeling tears welling up in my eyes.

A small sob escapes my mouth, and he shushes me gently. "It's okay, baby. I'm here," he reassures me, wrapping his arm around me and resting my head on his chest.