:Inject Me Sweetly: Chapter Twenty-One

By the time lunchtime rolled around, Vincent, Fiona, and Joel were the talk of the school. I wasn't too surprised though— every new kid had their five minutes of fame at my school. While it was large structure wise, it contained a small student body. We barely got any transfer students.

Currently Fiona, Joel, Vincent, and I were headed toward the school cafeteria. Somehow we'd all managed to find each other in the mob of students who were also moving toward it. Fiona was chattering excitedly, telling me how awesome her day was going. Not to anyone's surprise, she got three guy's phone numbers. Joel, on the other hand, was sulking.

"What's wrong with you?" I asked him as soon as Fiona was done ranting.

He heaved a heavy sigh. "The things you guys are learning are things I've already learned more than—"

"Don't say it," I interjected quickly, making a face. "Just use a general term."

After giving me a curious look, he shrugged. "Okay. I've already many years ago. It gets really boring after awhile."

"You're telling me," Vincent grumbled, his face set into a moody scowl. "The teachers make me feel like I'm three with the way they teach. How can you stand it?"

I winced, a little insulted by that. Sometimes I had a hard time understanding what they taught... "Haha," I laughed awkwardly. "Who knows...?"

"Well knowing you, you probably have trouble understanding it, huh, Stupid?"

Gritting my teeth together, I decided not to answer him. How long was he going to keep calling me stupid? He must use the damn word one hundred times a day! Didn't he ever tire of it?

"Emily!"

By the sound of his voice and the annoyed expression that crossed Vincent's face, I knew it was my brother who'd called out to me. Turning around, I greeted him with a bright smile. "Hey Jake!"

"You forgot your lunch money this morning," he informed me, handing me a five dollar bill.

I blinked. I hadn't even noticed. I'd been too busy forcing Vincent out the door. "You're a life saver, Jake."

He ruffled the hair on my head. "Someone's gotta keep an eye on you... Who are these people?" he added, noticing Fiona and Joel staring at him.

"Umm, these are my friends Fiona and Joel. Fiona, Joel, this is my brother, Jake."

"Hi!" Fiona chirped brightly, her eyes lighting up. "As Em just said, I'm Fiona!"

I suppressed a grin. She definitely had her flirt on. Unfortunately the poor thing didn't know my brother he had a crush on Leah. I had to remind myself to tell her later... and tell her all the other guys at school were taken. Even if it were fun to her, Sebastian would probably be hurt if she progressed further than friends with any of them.

"I'm hungry," Vincent grumbled, shoving me in the back. "Show me where the food is."

"Hey—"

"Don't shove her!"

"I wasn't talking to you, guard dog."

Joel snickered as Jake glared at him. "I could have my parents kick you out."

He rolled his eyes. "No you couldn't, trust me."

"You little brat—"

"Hey, hey," I interjected, pushing my brother back as he tried to advance on Vincent. "Can't we all get along?"

Jake jutted out his chin stubbornly. "No. Not when that monster is around my little sister."

An awkward silence passed by us. Monster. That's what I'd referred to Vincent and his family by at one point. Now the word made me feel uncomfortable. It sounded degrading.