:Dusk Until Dawn: [Chapter: 30] //A Vampire Romance//

~*~ Damian's Point Of View ~*~

As soon as Maddie left my sight, a sense of foreboding covered my senses. I frowned at the door for a moment, wondering if I should go after her. Would she get angry if I did? No, that was a vacuous thought. Maddie wasn't the kind of person who would get mad at someone for worrying about her. Just as I made my decision to follow her, Callie appeared at my side.

"Damian, will you be the DJ for a little while? I kind of want to go dance on the dance floor with everyone else," she requested, putting on her best puppy-dog expression. "Please?"

I debated for a minute. If I DJ-ed for a little while it would take my mind off of Maddie. She seemed to really want to go alone for some reason. But the sense of foreboding was still present. Presage was practically screaming in my ear, but I chose to ignore it.

"Of course," I told Callie.

"Yay!" she cried, hugging me. "I promise it won't be for long!"

She ran off to join the group of people on the dance floor who were standing around, waiting for the music to stop playing. I briskly made my way over to the DJ stand and stared the music again, watching as the people on the dance floor began to dance in a tangled mess once more.

I sifted through the music, looking for something good for dancing to play next. After a few minutes I found a song and dragged it into a play list. It would be easier to make a play list rather than chose a song every time one ended.

When I was finished with the list I was startled to realize I had been creating it for the past forty-five minutes. My eyes scanned the dance floor for Maddie who was supposed to have returned by now. As I scrutinized the crowd, I came to the conclusion that she had not returned yet.

That's when the foreboding returned. That's when I heard an owl hoot in the distance. That's when I heard the shrill, agonizing scream pierce the air. That's when I realized an owl's hooting presages death.

In my sudden panic, I accidentally hit the stop button on the laptop. The music was cut off and everyone on the dance floor looked up at me. But my eyes were searching, landing on Ayden, who was already by the door.

Callie appeared at my side moments later. She pushed me gently from the DJ booth.

"Go," she ordered, starting the music again. "I'll keep the party going."

I didn't need to be told twice. I didn't even care as I sprinted towards that door that if anyone caught a glimpse of me, they might catch onto something. Ayden opened the door as I drew nearer so I didn't have to stop and together we set off down the dark driveway.

It only took a matter of seconds to make it to Maddie's house. I saw a dark figure standing in the grass, still as settled water. I snarled, slowly walking towards whoever it was, preparing to attack.

Who it was caught me off guard. It was Dustin. But something was wrong. As I took in his appearance I made a startling discovery. He had fangs.

"What?" I questioned out loud, staring at the creature in front of me. Was that right? I couldn't call him human anymore, could I?

Dustin growled at me and lunged. I grabbed his arms and swung him to the side with little effort. To my surprise he was back to me in a matter of seconds, aiming for my neck. I grabbed his arm and twisted it back and kicked his feet out from under him.

He scowled at me and snarled.

"Dustin, what's going on here?" I demanded, pinning him down as he struggled to release himself. "Where's Maddie?"

Dustin didn't reply, he only snarled and struggled. I stared down at him curiously and slightly worried. What had happened?

"Oh, so you did come," an amused voice commented from behind me.