:Inject Me Sweetly: Chapter Six

Raindrops rolled down the crystal clear window, crisscrossing and making winding trails of water. I stared mindlessly into the dark forest splayed out before me, resting my head on my hand. The trees gave off an ominous feeling, like something was going to pop out of them and scare me, but I couldn't pull my gaze away. As if I was waiting for something to appear.

A yawn escaped my lips and I rubbed my eyes warily. I was told to feel at home and feel free to explore the place but how could I do either when I was terrified to leave my room? Somehow Joel and the others forgot to mention that there were others here. Others as in other vampires that gave me the look a starving person would give any morsel of food.

My stomach rumbled and I rested my forehead against the cool glass of the window, wishing I were at home where I could eat whenever I wanted to. Canned soup was definitely not enough to keep me, let alone any human, sedated for more than six hours. I didn't know what time it was exactly, but since it was dark out now, it had to be late.

I turned away from the window for a second, surveying the room that was set up for me. For a guest, this room was rather fancy. It had the same Victorian style as the rest of the house and a large four-poster bed with a canopy. Earlier I had flopped down onto its maroon and chocolate covered comforters to test its softness. It had passed my standards by flying colors. I was beginning to feel less like a captive and more like a guest more and more.

A gust of wind hitting the window pain caused my head to snap back towards it. The branches of the trees were waving around in the sudden breeze. I chuckled quietly; amused that such a silly thing had caused my heart to skip a beat.

"Hey, Em."

This time I blenched, shoving myself away from the window in surprise. Fiona appeared in the window's reflection. She looked highly amused. My heart thumped wildly in my chest and I turned around to face her, trying to calm myself down.

"You okay?" she inquired, raising an eyebrow.

I shook my head, placing my hand over my heart. "D-don't scare me like that!"

A small smile slipped onto her face. "Er, right. Sorry. You're not used to vampires yet."

"Yeah," I muttered, running a hand through my hair. I wasn't even used to the word vampires yet.

"Anyway, Vincent and Joel are about to play a match of billiards. Are you interested in watching them? They play a pretty awesome game."

I hesitated, dropping my gaze. So far these guys had been trust worthy. There was no reason to be scared of them. And playing pool sounded pretty normal- my friends and I played it all the time. Maybe vampires were more similar to humans than I thought. "Okay," I finally responded, offering Fiona a smile.

She grinned back. "Good! I was about to slap you silly if you made up an excuse about being afraid of vampires again!"

"It... It's not an excuse," I told her, giving her a wry look. "I really am afraid of vampires. Since I was little. Fears don't go away over night."

"You don't seem afraid of me."

"Which is weird since I was afraid of a cardboard cut out yesterday," I mused, following Fiona out of my temporary room.

She let out a loud bark of laughter, surprising me. She was such a tiny and lithe thing; I would have never imagined her making such a loud sound. "You're ridiculous! A cardboard cut out?"

"It's not my fault!"

She smirked. "Don't worry, I'm sure you'll come to like us."

I frowned. "It's not that I don't like you..."