:Dusk Until Dawn: [Chapter: 22] //A Vampire Romance//

"Hell no."

Kale's smirk slowly vanished and became a scowl. "It's the only way out. You go out the front door, you go by the kitchen and get found out."

"I'm not jumping out a window from the second story!"

"I never said you had to jump."

I scowled at him, crossing my arms over my chest. "Isn't there like, a back door?"

"In the kitchen," he responded.

I sighed. I guess there was no choice. "Okay, fine. Bring me out the window."

"Don't scream," he suggested with a smirk.

I frowned at him as I followed him over to the window. I looked out meekly.

"Are you sure-"

He hit me hard, and I nearly screamed as I stumbled backwards out the window. I would have, if he hadn't clasped a hand to my mouth. The air rushed by me for about two seconds, and before I knew it I was on my feet on the ground.

I turned and kicked Kale in the shin as hard as I could. He laughed and tapped his wrist. "Fifteen minutes."

"But-"

"Fourteen minutes, fifty-eight seconds," he responded.

I scowled at him once more before setting off towards my house.

The air was cold and brisk as I hurried along, ignoring the desolate forest on either side of me. It was still scary, even if it was the daytime. I stared straight ahead, trying to focus on other things besides the woods.

Dustin. He would be all right. He was a vampire hunter after all, so he should be able to watch himself. Even as I told myself this, I didn't really believe it. He was lucky that time at Damian's because the vampire wasn't attacking him. Now it would be different...

I quickly glanced at the woods. Could Reilly be hiding in there? I straightened my head out, shaking it. I was going crazy. Why was I even thinking about that guy so much?

I was halfway there when I heard a twig snap and I whipped my head in the direction the sound came from. A squirrel ran out from the forest, stopped and looked at me for a second, and then ran back in. I sighed in relief. It wasn't him.

Something grabbed my shoulder and kept me from moving.

Or maybe it was him.

I jumped and screamed and turned around, preparing to punch. A brown haired man grinned down at me.

"Where do you think you're going, missy?"

"Oh, Ayden," I responded with a sigh. "I thought you were..." I trailed off. I couldn't mention him.

"Him?"

Crap. Stupid Ayden and his mind reading.

"I'm sure Damian will be upset that you're sneaking out of the house," Ayden went on, with a shrug. "What are you doing?"

Damian? That wasn't who- I stopped talking in my mind and began to recite Row, Row, Row, You're Boat in my head. Ayden looked at me curiously and I shrugged. This was a good way to keep him from reading my thoughts. He'd only hear the child's song instead of what I was really thinking.

"I was, uh, getting... clothes from my house," I lied, answering his question.

"But you got them yesterday..." He looked at me suspiciously. "And why would you have to sneak out to go get them?"

"I didn't have pajamas."

Well there goes my excuse for asking Damian to let me wear his clothes.