:Inject Me Sweetly: Chapter Twenty-Nine

Waking up in strange places was something I was growing accustom to. Having an IV attached to me wasn’t coming as a surprise either. I glanced down at it, my vision blurry and shifting between focused and unfocused. It took a moment for it to settle on my normal eyesight. I turned my head, trying to get a good look around the room. My neck throbbed painfully and a grimace crossed my face. What…?

            “Oh! You’re up!”

            My heart skipped a beat and I shot up into a sitting position, looking around wildly, and forgetting the pain in my throat. When my eyes landed on Fiona I flopped back with a huff of annoyance. “Don’t scare me like that!”

            She gave me an uncharacteristically serious look. “Don’t scare me!”

            “W-what do you mean don’t scare you?” I snapped, putting a hand over my frantically beating heart.

            “Disappearing without a trace?” she started, narrowing her emerald eyes at me. “Leaving that horrifying voicemail on Vivi’s phone? You nearly gave me a heart attack! And trust me when I say giving a vampire a heart attack is quite an achievement!”

            I stared at her in surprise, my mouth hanging open. The voicemail… Memories of the night before rushed through my mind. Luca, my choices, Ashton… “I-I’m sorry,” I stammered after a moment. “But Ashton—”

            “And then, oh boy, the look on Vivi’s face. I am going to have nightmares for weeks. Poor Joel…”

            “What happened to Joel?”

            Fiona solemnly dragged a slim finger across her pale neck.

            “He killed him?”

            “Well, no, Sebastian didn’t let him do that…”

            “It wasn’t his fault!” I protested. Joel just had bad timing. I was the one who let him leave. “If it’s anyone’s, it’s mine. Vincent should be mad at me!”

            She smirked. “Oh, he is.”

            My heart sunk. “What?”

            “How are you feeling?” she questioned, changing the topic. “You lost quite a lot of blood. About the same amount as the time Joel sucked you’re blood… Huh. You’re pretty prone to vampire attacks, aren’t you? I bet it’s because you’re a Blue Blood. They’re rare creatures…”

            I grimaced. “Creature?”

            “That’s what you referred us vampires to.”

            “Sorry,” I apologized sincerely after a moment of stunned silence. Thinking back now, how could I have been so callous? I was pretty bad…

            She waved it off. “Don’t worry about it. If you’re feeling okay now, my parents would like to talk to you.”

            “The King and Queen?”

            “The one and only.”

            “Where are we?” I asked, taking another look around the room I was in. Nothing stood out to me. It was completely white and bare, aside from the bed I was lying on, and the drip that Fiona was now taking off of me.

            She gave me an amused look, removing the IV from my arm. “You can’t figure it out? We’re at my house.”

            My eyes widened. “Really?”