:Dusk Until Dawn: [Chapter: 18] //A Vampire Romance//

I paused with a broom in my hand, squinting out into the dark and dreary night through the window that was slightly smeared by dirt.

"Is he still out there?" Emmett mused, coming over to me, an ice cream scooper in hand. "Hasn't he been there for like the last two hours?"

I sighed. "Yeah, I don't know what he's waiting for though," I responded, turning and continuing to sweep the dirty floor.

It was nearly closing time at the shop. Half an hour more and my shift would be over and I could go home. And so could Damian.

He had been standing outside for the past two hours, ever since it had gotten dark. Why was he waiting outside in the dark for two hours while I worked? Because I was now put under a strict watch, just in case other vampires came after me. I thought it was highly impossible, but Damian thought it was highly possible.

I groaned and tapped on the glass. Damian looked over at me and I gestured for him to come over. He hesitated, but than walked to the front of the shop and came in.

"I think I'm okay now," I told him as he came over to me. I looked around to make sure Emmett wasn't listening. He was the only one here besides Damian and myself. Emmett was in the back now, and I could hear the sound of dishes being put in the dishwasher.

"No," Damian responded stubbornly. "Night is the most dangerous time for you right now. I can't leave you unattended."

Sure, I was flattered by his concern. I actually liked him being worried over me a lot, which also made me feel guilty in return. But having him wait in the cold for hours on end was a bit much.

"What I mean is, uh," I looked around as I tried to think of an excuse that would make him stop waiting in the cold. "People will think we are going out," I told him, turning a little red after it came out of my mouth.

Damian looked amused. "I don't have a problem with it."

My heart stopped momentarily. He didn't mind if people thought we were going out? What did that mean? Did that mean he liked me? I felt my heart beat a little faster. I liked the idea of it as well, did that mean I liked him? My reactions told me I did like... no, that I loved him. Was that the feeling I had been getting around him for the past few weeks? Butterflies, sweaty palms, feeling excited. It had to be it.

I was in love with Damian Weiss.

I felt a little dizzy as my mind made this decision. I grasped a table and sat down slowly. How had it come to this?

"Are you okay?" Damian inquired, squinting at me. "You look really pale."

"I'm okay," I responded quickly, feeling a faint blush appear on my face again. "I just..."

I was getting ahead of myself. He never said he liked me, he just said he didn't have a problem if people thought we were going out. It didn't mean anything. I couldn't help being a little bit depressed at the idea, but it was the truth. I had gotten way ahead of myself.

"I'm not trying to say that I don't trust you alone or anything, Maddie," Damian told me gently, lifting on my chin so I was looking at him, apparently taking my embarrassment as sadness. "I just don't want to see you get hurt again."

I gazed into his piercing blue eyes and momentarily zoned out again. He said such misleading things. Things that made me think he liked me. As I raced through my memories I realized he had done and said a lot of things that made it seem like he liked me. How could I have been so dense? But perhaps I was mistaken. I shook my head and Damian let go of me.

"No, it's okay," I told him, standing up. "I just hate seeing you outside in the cold all alone."

Damian's worried expression faltered, and was replaced by an amused one. He smiled mysteriously at me. "You're worried about me?"