:Inject Me Sweetly: Chapter Thirty-Five

There’s no feeling that can compare to the sensation of taking off high heels after a seemingly endless night of dancing. It was like jumping into a cool reservoir on a sizzling hot summer day. I sighed deeply, closing my eyes, and sinking back in to the comfortable leather couch I’d parked myself on. In only an hour, the somehow still lively guests would be urged to leave the manor and then I could go to my room and sleep for a century.

“Emily!”

Reluctantly, I opened my eyes to see Jack hovering over me, grinning handsomely, his long hair now down from its ponytail and cascading down his chest. I smiled weakly at him. “Hi, Jack.”

“You look exhausted,” he commented.

“Thanks.”

Grinning, he took a seat next to me on the couch. “I have something I want to talk to you about before I head out.”

Curious, I turned my body so I could face him. “What’s that?”

“Actually,” he started in a quiet voice, leaning his head closer to mine, “I was outside earlier, on the balcony, taking a breather. From below me I could hear whispering and when I heard your name, I decided to eavesdrop a bit. They were talking about kidnapping you.”

My heart dropped into my stomach. “What else did they say?”

“Um, well they were talking about how they’d kill Rutherford— I’m not sure which one— to get to you since you’d most likely be with them. They also mentioned the best time to get you was while everyone else was leaving the ball.”

“Who are they?”

His face became hard. “Ashton and that crazy bastard Luca. Are they serious, Emily? Are they plotting to kidnap you?”

“I…” I hesitated, unsure of what to say. Was letting Jack know what was going on a good idea? What if he was a double agent and just telling me this to throw me off guard for when Ashton actually decided to make a move?

“Is that definitely what you heard?”

“Sebastian!” I cried, relieved to see him. He’d know if telling Jack was the right thing to do.

A frown was set on his face, his arms crossed. “So he didn’t leave earlier like I’d hoped. He’ll make his move at midnight then?”

Jack’s eyes widened. “Wait, are you serious? He’s plotting to kidnap a human? Why would he do something so stupid? He’ll get in serious trouble!”

Sebastian nodded gravely. “What’s worse is what he’s planning on later.”

“Sebastian, we should tell someone—”

“No,” he interjected, “We must absolutely avoid creating a scene about this. No one else can know besides those who already do.”

Jack furrowed his eyebrows. “Why…?”

Sebastian shook his head. “Never mind, Jack. Thank you for informing us, but please forget about what you’ve heard. It’s dangerous to Emily if anyone else finds out about this.”

“Sure,” Jack agreed, sounding apprehensive. “Make sure nothing bad happens to her, Sebastian. I really like her.”

I grinned. “Thanks, Jack.”

“I like her too,” Sebastian agreed, placing a large hand on my head and messing with my hair. “We’re going to do our best. I need to talk to Emily privately now, so if you’ll excuse us…”

“No problem,” Jack responded, pushing himself up from the comfortable couch cushions. “See you two later then.”

I nodded, waving quickly to him. “Bye!”