:Dusk Until Dawn: [Chapter: 8] //A Vampire Romance//

The heavy batter of rainfall stirred me from my sleep in the early morning. I opened my eyes and stretched groggily. My alarm clock was blinking on 12: 00. I groaned and rolled to the side. I fumbled around my bed stand until I landed my hand on my cell phone. Five. I groaned again.

I swung my feet over the edge of the bed and touched them down onto the cold wooden floor. My room was really cold. I guessed it was because I just got out of my warm bed. I knew I wouldn't be able to get any more sleep so I decided to get ready. I pulled out the clothes I was going to wear and trooped to the bathroom to do my morning routine. The hot spray from the shower woke me up.

When I returned to my room it was just turning six and the sun was beginning to creep into my room. I shivered. It definitely wasn't me. My room was freezing! I surveyed my room, and did a double take when I saw my window. It was slightly open. Why was it opened? I locked it last night! I swallowed and spun around for another take of my room. It was the wind, I told myself unconvincingly. What else would it be? I tossed my clothes onto my floor and raced down the stairs.

Will was in the kitchen cooking breakfast. The smell of bacon reached my nose and I almost gagged.

"Morning," Will greeted me when he noticed I'd entered the kitchen. He yawned and gestured to the table where toast and eggs were placed on a plate.

"Those are yours."

I nodded and sat down. I had extra time today, so I decided to make hot chocolate.

"Will?" I asked throwing a cup of water into the microwave. I would make it the simple way today.

"Yeah?" he replied, sitting at the table with his breakfast.

"Were you, um, in my room last night?" I questioned him.

"No." He shook his head. "Why?"

"Nothing at all," I replied biting my lip. It was just the wind. It had been windy after the storm. I stirred in two packets of powder and sat back down at the table.

Will was reading the newspaper.

"This is weird," he murmered, his eyebrows furrowing.

"What is?" I asked chewing on eggs.

"They found a guy in town today with a broken neck. But there's no evidence of a struggle. And he was just in the middle of the street so there was nothing to harm him either." Will sighed. "I guess it's another murder case. Watch it be assigned to me."

I choked on my eggs and Will looked up at me alarmed.

"Are you okay?"

"I'm fine," I gasped, my eyes burning. A murderer? My window open this morning? My hands began to shake. No, I was just jumping to conclusions. I had already settled on the wind opening it.

The rain continued to pound down on the roof as I returned up to my room to grab my school bag. I looked out the window before shutting it. There weren't any broken branches on the tree, and the window was still locked. I pushed the lock down and it popped back out again. Broken. I laughed. So it was the wind! I shut the window and slung my bag over my shoulder and raced down the stairs.

"Give me a ride!" I ordered as I entered the kitchen. Will looked up from putting his shoe on.

"Maddie," he frowned. "I can't be late."

"It's raining!"

"Dustin still has to walk."

"But-" I was interrupted by the door bell ringing. "I'll get it." I told Will, confused. Dustin didn't ring the doorbell.