Chapter Two

I deliberately did not set my alarm but I have forgotten to switch off my daily work alarm so I was woken up at seven-fifteen. Since I was woken up, I could not go back to sleep anymore. So I dragged myself out of bed, no point wasting the day away. Just last night I realised time flies really fast and I only have four days left, or technically three and a half because my flight on Friday is around noon time.

My hotel booking doesn't come with breakfast. Anyway I don't usually take breakfast. After I washed up and changed, I headed out. It was bright and sunny and already I was feeling the vibes of a good day ahead.

Today I plan to go to the old town. There's a traditional market I would like to visit. When you talk about traditional markets here, in Korea, in Japan too, and maybe Taiwan as well, other than buying fresh groceries, there's always plenty of good local food to be found. Local snacks, street food, cheap and good. I plan to settle my brunch there. I'm not sure what I'll find but I'm open to trying new food.

I hopped on the bus going towards the airport direction. I'm lucky to catch this bus because the next bus is one hour later.

Using the not-so-connected google maps again, I checked where to alight. The market is somewhere along the way but not quite yet near the airport. I definitely don't want to end up at the airport - I'm not ready to go home yet!

I reached the market at nine-ish and already it was crowded with people. These markets start early. People come for breakfast and for the locals to get their groceries for the day.

Right at the entrance, an aunty was selling hotteok - a kind of pancake thing. I didn't fancy having a starchy pancake so I moved on. There were stalls selling noodles; hot steaming bowls of ramyeon. They smelled delicious. But noodles are way too heavy for me in the morning so I skipped it too.

Then I came to a stretch that sells fruits. Apples, tangerines, strawberries, everything looked so fresh and delicious, and ridiculously cheap. I wish I can buy everything home. May would have love the strawberries. May is Esme's five year old.

Down on was shops selling clothes. They are not your fashion clothes or work wear but more of what the local people might wear; shorts, singlets, simple plain-coloured tees and underwears. All in bulk. So, it is a good deal if you are buying in bulk, by the dozen.

I stopped to get a bowl of oden; fishcake as you would call it. The hot steaming soup was calling out to me. I am a goner when it comes to soups. I love all soups, except maybe minestrone and mala soups. I'm not a fan for orangey-red soups.

Beside the oden pot, the aunty was also selling tteokbokki. Normally I would enjoy a cup of tteokbokki. But this one looks exceptionally spicy. And if I take spicy food in the morning, I would definitely feel miserable for the rest of the day with an uncomfortable tummy. Last night I felt it after dinner. That was why I was I couldn't eat so much yet. My tummy was; should be having a hard time now.

After filling up my tummy, I left the market. I wanted to go exploring. I followed the road, crossed over a bridge and we came to a section of town with proper shophouses shops kind of shops. There were car repairs, hardware stores, bookshops and even a Paris Baguette. My first one here so far.

I came to a museum and decided to step in for a look. The museum is not big. It is a museum which holds some old historical documents, talking about some old histories and stories of Jeju Island. I wasn't interested so I left shortly. Luckily entrance was free, otherwise I would not have came in.

Once I stepped out of the museum, I got a surprise. Earlier it had been bright and sunny, but now, the sky was laden with thick dark clouds, offering the possibility of a heavy downpour. Luckily I brought my umbrella.