Chapter Eighteen

He had given me his address. And he had apologized in advance that he won't be able to pick me up. Unlike Beihai, security is more tight in Beijing and the paparazzi more intense, they are literally everywhere so he needs to be extremely careful - what he does, where he goes, who he meets. So he told me to take a cab and claim from him later.

Well that's fine with me, no big deal.

This time I have my big luggage because I'll be going back after Beijing, I'm not going back to my hotel in Shanghai. So it's not convenient to take the public transport. I queued in line for a taxi and was jumped queue by some fellow. I had no chance to get pissed off with that woman because she had got on under my nose and closed the door. She must have saw that I'm a foreigner easily bullied. Damn.

I got on the next cab, and gave the driver my destination address. According to his GPS, it says forty minutes.

We drove past the main city, just a glimpse of it and I saw the majestic Forbidden City. That's definitely one place I want to visit. Sammi told me I should go to the great wall. I hope I can do that too.

We got on the highway and after that was moving out of the central. Beijing is divided into zones, the further you are away from the center, the cheaper your house I read. I think JC's place is in zone three, still relatively expensive. I aaked him if he rented it or bought it. He bought it since he's based in Beijing most of the time. His agency is here, his recording studio is here, most of his work is in Beijing except for filming locations.

His place was an apartment. We came into a quiet neighbourhood but you can tell it's private and exclusive, will demand some costs not for the lower income.

The security was very strict too. The taxi stopped at the guard house. When the security guard heard which unit I was going to, I can see all his atennas on alert. I think all of them knows who lives in that unit.

He asked for my name and verification, so I handed him my driving license, something I always bring along as a form of identification. I didn't feel safe to hand out my passport easily. Then I saw him make a call. I suppose to JC, to verify my identity. Then finally I was let in. He told the driver to drop me off at the porch in front. There's only two blocks of apartments here, both share one porch for a drop off point.

I thanked the driver, paid him and got off. He got down to help me with my big luggage. I thanked him again.

Inside, there was a gate barrier, second level of security. I had to dial up to the unit and the owner has to open the gate to let me through.

The gate was opened promptly as soon as I called up. JC must be waiting by the door.

I got through and went to the elevator. I checked his message again. Level twenty five. I pressed the button. So high.. apparently it's the top floor. Likely a penthouse.. even more expensive.. but oh well, he surely can afford it.

When the elevator door opened, I stepped out. There were about five units on this level. His unit was the last one on the left. As soon as I reached his door, it opened. I haven't realized how much I missed him until I saw him again. He grinned at me. He was wearing a loose white tee shirt and a pair of shorts, comfy home wear. He took my luggage in as I got in.

He put the luggage aside and as soon as the door closed behind me even before I took off my shoes and backpack he pulled me into a hug back and all. I chuckled and hugged him back.

"I missed you..." he mumbled.

"I missed you too," I said in return.

"How much?" he asked.

"More than you," I laughed, then I pulled away because it was really uncomfortable being squashed. He lets me go. I took off my bag. Then I took a good first look of his place.